Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Drilling by depth

Good Tuesday all,

The way our engineered drawing come down to us with multiple hole sizes drilled along one axis causes a problem in that they typically specify a shoulder depth.

Is it possible to setup my drills to be from the flat where the drill angle ends instead of the drill point to make it easier to calculate the depths?

Thanks!

create points at the bottom of all your full diameters on all all your holes Randy and then use depth as incremental.

BTW, I am pretty sure your programmed depth, if your drill is defined correctly can then be achieved by using the depth calculator

Typically it's .02", ocasionally it's +.06".

I don't think it would be good to have the guys setup off the flat, all I can see is the pending damage and drill parts all over the machine :S

Jimmy, I use the tip comp, but usually only on thru holes, not to acheive the flat of the drill instead of the tip. Lets say we were drill a hole that is .75" dia. and the drawing says 1.25" deep + .060" to the flat, how would you calculate the tip comp to put in?

John, I have never done it like this, use incremental to get the shoulder, and I don't really understand how that could work. Could you explain a little further?

Randy, the incremental is based on the "assumption", (bad perhaps) you have different depths and you would actually be programming the depths to the points. If your depths are all the same you can use ABS

if you use the tip comp, you can put in '0' and it will automatically add the drill point to the hole bottom. you can even change the tip angle at this point. If you use mask on arc it will give you the depth of the dia. at bottom of hole. If it gives you the top select the bottom one for the depth or tell it where it should be and still use tip comp at '0'.