Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

ROKU problems

CDL2042

Our ROKU 658 has developed a problem. It is cutting off center about .0006 in the x-axis only.

You can pick up a ground block on center, mill a pocket, and pick up the block again. The block will still be on center, and the pocket will not.

We had it checked with a laser, and a ball bar, and everything looks great.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing?

Could this be from spindle taper being slightly cocked so that different length tools move your centerline ever so slightly, maybe try picking up part with cutter at same length as indicator ball? I have the same .0005 problem in my Moore jig-bore except its the Y axis. My spindle is dead square to the table etc, and the only thing I can think of, is the above:headscratch:

Yes the machine is warmed up, the guys are pretty good at doing that.

Here is what they told me. They cut the pocket, it was shifted x-.0006, so they tried it again with a x +.0006 offset hoping that would put the pocket on center. It didn't. The pocket moved to x+.0006.

That is messed up. headscratch.gif

there are alot of variables, clamp pressure in both situations if not with in a few lbs of each other could be a few tenths, is the location offset being properly stored and saved in location (I have seen operators type a number and hit insert instead of input and move to the next screen) roku roku are pretty acurate machines and with out a major crash being off .0006 is a big problem. I would first cut a trode on center out side on like a 1 by 1, check it, adjust take more stock off and recut, if they are not adjusting the comp to remove more stock then it will never be on each time they recut. When dealing with a higher end machine you have to look at everything, if it were a old fadal or haas you could say .0006 that is good. I would start with process and work holding being 100% confident in them and then look at the machine tool. IMO.

We have a similar problem on our 2002 Kitagawa HX400. I ran some tests and even compensated for tool length, our error is a whopping .0014 (inch)in the X axis. Nobody has been able to tell us why either. There is a global shift available in the workshift page, we just input the error into there and everything works fine. I do wonder what the heck is up though.

I guess we will keep testing. Our operators are very good, and we have never noticed this problem until recently.

You are right though, the ROKU is extremly accurate, .0006 is HUGE for us, and we wonder how we will be able to mill critical things with confidence anymore.

As far as work offset, I already explained that when we try to offset to compensate, the result is not predictable. I wonder if Kevin was on to something with the spindle taper?

Thank you guys for the advice, I will keep you posted. Maybe its just something stupid that we are missing.

quote:

spindle taper being slightly cocked so that different length tools move your centerline ever so slightly

+1

Looks like that's the case here also, your spindle head is not square to the table and ball bar test didn't show it for us either.

Couple relevant discussions

hth

The spindle head was adjusted on our mori by some screws ( I wasn't at work then...), but the effect is not perfect.

It's a little better then before, but when running some really close positional tolerance I still have to lie to a probe wink.gif

It's supposedly very hard to dial it in.

And btw, I never crashed this machine (any machine for that matter...)

hth