Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Chevalier (VMC)

Davidgil

It would be unfair to compare a Chev2252 to any of their cheap grinders and bridgeport copies. 8000 rpm 20 horse spindle, Fanuc 18m control, 20 tool changer. After reading a little about it I would have to take a serious look at it because it seems to be in the same class as Fadal or Haas.

You should find someone with one and talk to them.

Good Luck-

I have run a Chevalier lathe as well as the grinder. The CNC lathe wasn't bad, the grinder was crap.

I would not buy a Fadal, since the control is weird, the machine lacks rigidity, and the toolchange takes forever. Haas is a better machine for the same price. If you do want to get an import, Leadwell (Taiwan) are a decent machine for the money.

Peter Eigler

I don't know the Chevalier machines, but from what Jamman mentioned, I would guess that machine is similar in size to the larger Shaublin lathes. Shaublin lathes may be expensive, but I have only heard good words about Shaublin lathes. They are rigid, they are very accurate (+/- 0.002 mm or better for repeating positioning), and they just keep running with next to no maintenance. I have seen a Shaublin lathe which could still stay within that accuracy after 10 years of running 24/7, and the only maintenance it had required was new oil and coolant at appropriate intervals. After those 10 years, it got an overhaul (regrinding the guideways and a control update), and for all I know, it is still running within 0.002 mm, 9 years after that overhaul.

Thank you all very much for the information. I love this forum because it lets us all share our experience to make life easier for all of us.

One of the previous comments on this thread mentioned the FADAL. I was looking specifically at the 4525 which seems to be a much more sturdy machine than the original 4020 machine. I am also toying with the idea of going with the Siemens 810D contoller if I choose the FADAL. Any comments or experience with this configuration?

Thanks again,

Dave