Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MCAMX MR2 to MCAMX2 MR2

Slixmix

I just got done installing the latest version of Mastercam. When I first tried to launch it, it said it couldn't find the hasp. So, I ran the hasp setup and it opened just fine. Problem is I was never prompted to migrate all of my old settings from the old version. Is this something that is done automatically or is there a utility I can run to do this? Thanks.

Hmm, I misread your version numbers in the topic. I'm not sure if my reply is accurate. It should work like that when updating from X2 MR1 to X2 MR2, but you're installing a whole new version. Perhaps someone who knows what the hell they're talking about can chime in. biggrin.gif

Thad

There doesn't seem to be a consensus here about how to go about these updates.

I am trying to go from X2 SP1 to X2 MR2.

How to I get all of my settings to the new version?

machine definition

kayboard shortcuts

tool library

screen layout

custom toolbars etc.

I've never been happy with a single update with Mastercam. It never seems to be intuitive or complete.

I really believe that the main probs have to do with file locations and the name of these files. If you tell it to load into a different file name than what its defaulting to, it doesn't migrate things correctly. IMO I think that it should put the file into a folder by itself and then migrate info from previous versions into the one created. I know that this in hand still messes with the routing of those merged files due to new file/folder names. You'd think that this could be simpler.

I always have this concern with my guys in the field. Everyone who has one of our 5 axis systems has Mastercam along with it, so I have to have an update for them that works smoothly. Here's what I do:

Set up a folder on your desktop (or elsewhere) with a bunch of subfolders: Config, cnc_machines, router or mill.

Inside of router(mill), create the following directories: posts, tools (if you have custom tool profiles/library).

Copy mcamx.config (mastercam "preferences") and mastercam.mtb (keyboard layout) from the c:mcamxconfig directory into the config directory you made ealier

Machine Definitions (in my case, Centroid 5 Axis.control and .rmd) go from c:mcamxcnc_machines to the new cnc_machines

post files get copied from c:mcamxrouterposts to the routerposts folder

tool library is normally (by default) ROUTER_INCH.TOOLS in c:mcamxroutertools so that goes into the routertools along with any custom tool profiles (.mcx).

The trick is that the configuration will only work right if mastercam is installed to the same path, so to avoid confusion, I have them uninstall all old versions first.

All they have to do after that is just unzip the backup folder into the mastercam folder, and it puts in all of the settings and all that without worrying about whether files are missing and whatnot.

Hope this rambling isn't too confusing smile.gif

Since I didn't uninstall the old version first because:

a: I'm paranoid-- because it was working

b: Others in this forum advised to install side by side

So what are my options at this point? I guess what it confusing is that all of my customization that was done over the last year or two is in so many different places.

Library files are part of the config,

keyboard shortcuts are part of either the .mtb??? or config files.

even my screen view is different-it took me awhile to figure that out.

And where are my custom toolbars? Do I need to recreate those?

I want to keep current but it is a pain.

Am I whining? Maybe. I'm just sharing my experiences.

I do mine Like Aaron suggests with one exception I do a side by side install and I just update the paths to the new dirctory(s) So Perseid88 you could still do this just find the files and copy them to the new directory.

Another thing I do to keep things neat is when I finish the install, in all of the directories I will be adding my custom files to I make a folder called MCAM_defaults and I move everything into tohose folders so my custom files are alone in the main Config, Cnc Machines directories and so on.

I also leave these Folders on the Desktop and update them periodically so I have a back up of my custom settings I can easily put on another machine or use if a reinstall becomes necessary.

Windows has a cool tool for syncing folders that work great for this. SyncToy

HTH

To save problems when updating from anything previous to X2 MR1 and wanting to do a stand alone, your best bet is to back up your files, do a complete uninstall, reboot your system and then do the install, replace any files you need to.