Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tooling Manager - easy editing

Pete Blythe

Hi. I'm soliciting for some testers out there to provide some feedback on a Microsoft Access Database which will read in the text file generated by the EXPORT function of X's Tooling Manager. I have created it so that I can quickly (and efficiently) manipulate whole tooling files with in a Access Database, and then export them back to a text file ready for the tooling manager to import back in. I was fed up constantly tweaking bits of the tooling database; so by using the Export/Import function of the Tooling manager, I am now able to mass tweak tooling info. One of my main questions is "am I reinventing the wheel?", there may be some other tool to do this, in which case please direct me to your answer.

You will need to be able to confidently use Access Queries to manipulate the data tables for the first version, but depending on the forums feedback, I may take it (the Access DB) to another level and add some functionality to help users change data.

Please show your interest by replying directly or on this forum, and will email you over a working database with instructions for use.

Cheers.

Hi. I think that Access 2003 is compatible. I've had a contact from someone else on the formum, and they mentioned that CNC software are doing something similar. I've posted an email to them and I'm going to await their reply before taking it any further in developemnt. In the meantime I email you a Sample DB and some instructions.

Cheers

Pete

Thad... Thanks for your interest. I take on board your comments about MS Access. It brought it home to me that not all users are conversant with it (Access), unlike MS Excel. I have had some feed back from CNC SOFTWARE, and they are willing to provide me some details of a c-hook they have been developing. I will be reviewing the development of their utility, over the next week or two. I'll post back my thoughts then.

Cheers and thanks again for your encouragement.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I've had a few responses from our fellow collaborators, and I am embarking on developing this database further. It would be helpful if those of you who ave the version 0.1 database please respond with comments. Was it useful, and if so, what functionality would you like to see added.

Thanks

Pete

I'm interested.

I did something similar a few months ago to get our Mcam tool library into an Access backend for the tool management system in our cell. It really beat typing in hundreds of tools.

I used the detailed report file because I had no interest in putting the info back into Mastercam, and it was easier to read. The exported txt is the way to go though for sure.