Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tools in MasterCam X2

DanR

Having just made the transition from M9.1 to MX2, I have quickly noted the lack of the MX2 manual to be worth anything.

I have ordered the InSolutions manuals for help, but until they get here I am tired of creating a new tool for every operation, but when I try to do anything else, my numbers, DOCs, and tool descriptions get all jumbled up.

Is there a logical way to handle tools?

Did you have a functional .TL9 file in version 9 ?

If you read up on migrating from version 9, your tool library should be able to be imported.

There is LOTS of documentation available from using "help" inside Mastercam.

There is also a documentation folder at START>>ALL PROGRAMS>>MASTERCAM X2>>DOCUMENTATION.

This folder has thousands of pages in .pdf documents. Until you are comfortable with the newer version, the V9 to X function map is going to be your best friend.

For the issue above, I would think you'll find what you need in the TRANSITION GUIDE (convert your tool library).

quote:

Is there a logical way to handle tools?

Create a library. You should be able to import your library from V9, if you have one.

quote:

...but when I try to do
anything
else...

Be more descriptive and we'll help get you going again.

I agree, the books (PDFs in the documentation folder) aren't as good as they were in V9, but there's still lots of good info in there. Remember, the V9 to X function map is your friend.

Welcome to the forum! cheers.gif

EDIT: Matt...quick on the draw this morning. biggrin.gifcheers.gif

Thad

Dan,

check out the Documentation folder in your X2 install. There are a half dozen really good

PDF docs in there. As mentioned earlier, 92X2.pdf

is quite useful. Put it on your desktop, it will help your transition from V9 to X2

There are also video downloads on the Mastercam webiste that are worth your time to watch.

Once you get used to it, you will find that

X2's tool maanegment is far superior to V9

while we're talking about documentaion....

I sure wish I could buy the Reference Manual

in hard copy at a reasonable price. hint hint

smile.gif

Okay. I will contact our computer guys and find out what they did with the install disks and find the documentation file, but the InHouse Solutions books come highly recommended so I think I will get them anyway.

I have no Mill 9.1 Library, since it was at the local TVI, but to be more specific, when I take a file and set it up to post say a facing operation, a contour, a couple of drill holes and a couple of pockets, any time I set up a tool and don't pick "Create New Tool", the program seems to change all my tools to the last one, even though I am done building the previous operations. For instance, I pick a 1/2 Inch Flat Endmill and build the data including depth of cut information for facing. Then later I pull a 1/2 Inch Flat Endmill for contouring. I set that up including depth of cut information. Suddenly my facing data is wrong... and I have had instances where I next define a pocket with a 3/16 Inch Flat Endmill, and the facing tool suddenly became a 3/16 Inch Flat Endmill with pocketing depth of cut.

Maybe if I can get a Library set up I can preclude this. I will find the install disk and get it loaded so I can read it.

Thanks.