Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Machining Inconel 718

Rob_Jeanjaquet

Hi all,

In response to the helpful postS that I received

I would like to share my solutions. We did not have a lot of luck roughing with 90 deg carb inserts. In a cut of 3/4 diameter they work pretty well but less than that they just get beat up. Could not get through 1 part. They do work well on finishing. For facing we used Sanvik 1030 45 deg insert (bronze colored)at 153 rpm,3.0 ipm, .025 depth of cut. As long as there was not a lot of material to be removed (.25 x 8l x 3w in our case)they would last long enough to be checked or changed before total failure. We ended up drilling out the part first with an OSG GPH 1100 tin coated drill. 150 rpm, .8 peck, .6 ipm, 1.5" deep.A powdered metal V coated drill 1900 drill is supposed to be better for 718.

We then used a 1" 5 fl coarse cobalt roughing em (generic)uncoated em.We ran 1.5" deep with a .25 width of cut .5 ipm at 90 rpm. We got about 2 parts out of this combo without destroying tools.

step cut is 7-3/4 " long,3" wide 1.5" deep.

I think a fine pitch rougher would work better. Finishing was done with standard carbide Tialn

cutters and lasted Through 5 parts so far using mfg cutting data. I'm sure these can be improved

but this is a good place to start and we are able to run machine unattended which is worth something.

Thanks,

Rob Jeanjaquet

MC X2 MR2 level 2 (SP?)

Definitely not a lot of fun to work with that stuff...

We do run an unattended job on our big Integrex cutting Inconel. The cycle is about 20 Hrs and includes setting the TLO's with the laser and online inspection as well as right angle head work.

We are looking at a waspalloy job in here that is about 160 hrs cutting cycle. It will use about 400 endmills per part.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

You must've been a bad person to deserve a job like that Rob. Don't envy you at all.

Cutting Inconel, personally I prefer to use Ceramic. Looks awesome seeing the orange glow from inside the machine. biggrin.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

AK,

Do a search for "Ceramic" and "CNC Apps Guy" as the member in the Main Forum. You'll find some good stuff there. Exact recipes for machining Inconel.

Oh, yes for rough and finish, but ALWAYS depending on the application. The application always dictates the how, what, and why.

That should get you started.

HTH

i luv machining inco 718 it'like butter compare to 625

niagara elite carbide end mills 5 flutes 20deg !!

i tried 6 ou 7 brand of ends mills and not a single one come close to match niagara !!!

in comparaison the duramill do 1 part and niagara 60..... biggrin.gif

in all "hard to machine" materials(inco ,stellite, hastaloy, titanium...) , niagara always do the job better than the other for me