Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MasterCam V9L3 on Dell WS530 with WK2000

armo

I have a strange one here...

We've recently purchased 2 new Dell Precision 530 Workstations running WK2000, 512Mb RAM, Nvidia Quadro4 700 XGL video, 1.7GHz Xeon P4 Processor. MasterCam V9L3 has been installed, but seems to run no faster than the regular Dell Dimension PIII 700, NT4 Sp6a, with a plain old nVidia GeForce card... in fact the old PIII beats the new computers by a long shot (especially noticeable in Backplot)!!! Nothing is wrong with the computers, as I have also loaded onto them I-Deas MS9, our engineering CAD package, and it SCREAMS speed in every case! I have since loaded the newest drivers available for the 700XGL (which are not even certified drivers...) but it made no difference. Anyone experience this phenomenon? I'de hate to take the new computers away from our CNC dept. just to "upgrade" them to their old equipment.... Are there hidden settings I should be adjusting, or maybe not-so-hidden settings I need to know about? I did a clean MC9 install (on both the Xeon and PIII) and the PIII is faster!

Help!

Yes, the .cfg files are exactly the same....

Actually I have started playing with colours, and things run much faster in 256 colour mode... So I am going to start playing in the OpenGL section of video card properties. I tried loading the "Detonator" drivers from nVidia, but there is no drivers contained that show up as "Quadro4 700 XGL" So I went with the latest supplied from Dell for this card and workstation....

Any remarks as to "tweaking" the OpenGL section?

Thanks!

Bullines,

No, this would be helpful knowledge! Please tell me how.

I am not a MasterCam user as such, I am the system administrator for the company and so my knowledge of MasterCam is limited... I rely heavily on the users to tell me something is wrong. But I know something is up when a PIII700 beats a P4 Xeon 1.7GHz!

Thanks!

armo,

The allocations for Mastercam are found by selecting Screen-Configure-Allocations tab. The numbers for Database and Toolpath allocations can be boosted however the total RAM used by Mastercam should not exceed about 2/3 of the total RAM on your system, depending on how much memory you have. With 512Mb on the new system, you should be able to allocate Mastercam to use 256Mb with no difficulty. There are other strings which discuss the allocations in this forum. Another "hidden" setting you may want to consider is toolpath display. If your display settings are for Interpolation instead of Endpoints, your Backplot display will be slower depending on the interpolation value. Interpolation during toolpath display forces the backplot to show the step value indicated. Another place to find these display settings is in each individual operation. On the Tool Parameters tab of the operation, look for the Tool Display button in the lower right hand corner. Press that button to view settings which may have an affect on the speed of your toopath display. HTH biggrin.gifsmile.gifbiggrin.gif

Wow,

Great responses!

Firstly, Peter, Our MC supplier is sending a tech guy here this morning to look at these anomalies... I'll watch closely, and see if he does the tweaking you describe. I played arround with the tool path allocations etc, but didn't succeed... Maybe I didn't hit the "sweet spot"! As far as tool parameters go, the PIII and the Xeon were running the same "benchmark" file, would this mean they were facing off on a level field?

Secondly, Simtech, Interesting observation, I'll go try that right now!

Thirdly, plasttav, I'll look at those pages.

Lastly, K_Herzog, It isn't Stepping through, it is simply Running the Backplot that is slower...

Now the guys in CNC are telling me MC9 is loosing toolpath info at different stages!!! I am glad someone is coming out now!!!

This has been extremely frustrating... I've always believed that to get the most from your software, you need to put as much into your hardware... This didn't seem to work this time arround!

Oh well, I'll keep everyone informed as to what happens today!

Again, thanks everyone!

Greg,

Thanks for the advice. It seems everything about the computers is slower in some way....

Well, the tech guys came over and have come to the conclusion that MC doesn't have full support for Xeon Processor, or the High-end graphics card... frown.gif

To test we threw a common nVidia Geforce 256 card into the new computers and it ran better with that card! confused.gif

Wow. Guess we'll be pushing those computers into engineering and have them put together an "optimized" computer for MC! (As long as I live long enough after I break the news to the boss!!!) redface.gif

Well, thank-you everyone. I certainly learned something from this experience! I'll definately keep watching this board further for MC tricks and tweaks!

hmm, i think the system requirements page of emastercam.com need to be updated. Also perhaps the mods should put a disclaimer which states, mastercam doesn't support xeon cpus or quadro pro video cards.

This way it will save people aggravation, when they accidently buy the wrong hardware, which isn't supported by mastercam. smile.gif

[ 05-02-2002, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: Mackius ]