Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

USB to Serial (9 pin) adapters

Roger Peterson

laptops pretty much haven't had serial ports for quite some time, unless you purchased a workstation replacement. It doesn't appear that any of the new workstation replacements have serial port. Even desktops are making the, neccesary to us, 9 pin serial port extinct.

So...

1. what usb to serial adapter are you using?

brand?

model #?

driver version?

price?

2. was it difficult to get working?

3. now that it's working are you happy with it?

A couple of units I have used I can no longer find, or are not easily/economically found.

We have been recommending the USB Gear USB RS232 Adapters for the past five years (or more) and have never had anyone call back with a problem. The units are $19.99 each and we have never had a problem with them being out of stock. In fact, we used to stock them ourselves but we couldn't keep enough around between people calling and our own service guys selling them to customers out of their toolkits... Here's more info:

USBG-232 - I personally use this unit for my HP 9440 (with no serial ports) and it works great. This is the same unit our service guys have been recommending after wading through all the "less than functional units" (names omitted to protect the guilty).

Here is an entire page about drivers and lists many different units - USB Gear 232 Adapter Info Page.

MOXA and Quatech also have great units, but for single port adapters the USB Gear units can not be beat.

HTH,

• 4 months later...

quote:

Does anyone have an opinion on whether or not the following product will work for my 25 pin Hasp?

I think the BEST bottom line is update that parallel HASP to a USB.

Many, if not nearly all new computers do not come with Parallel ports any longer.