Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Breaking News!!!!!

gcode

I wouldn't discount SolidCAM in a comparision against HSMWorks as it is not a fair comparision. HSMWorks has done a nice job with what they have put together, SolidCAM still has alot more breadth though. The HSM in SolidCAM is a similar to the module in Mastercam and is more mature in it's development. If we are going to look at the whole picture.

I still don't like SolidCAM as a whole but that is not to discount it's functionallity as a whole.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been checking out the Soldiworks CAM add-ins for a while now, and I am very happy to hear Mastercam has jumped in.

Being able to use the Solidworks history tree will be a great benefit. That alone is probably the biggest draw for me since our engineers and many of our customers use Soldiworks.

Also since someone mentioned HSMWorks... I like this too...

quote:

Modern Architecture

HSMWorks utilizes the latest technologies including native 64-bit support for users of 64-bit versions of SolidWorks® resulting in superior performance when working on large or complex designs.
The advanced HSMWorks task manager allows users to continue working inside SolidWorks® while toolpaths are calculated in the background, optionally utilizing multiple processors, dual cores and hyper-threading technology.

Hopefully Mastercam's add-in will be able to incorporate this feature as well.

quote:

I wouldn't discount SolidCAM in a comparision against HSMWorks as it is not a fair comparision.

Sure it is.

I am currently forced to use both MC and SolidCAM.

SolidCAM has a poor interface, lacks basic functionality and can't even threadmill tapered threads properly.

Let's not even speak about SolidCAM lathe.

I'd rather use Dolphin for Lathe programming than SolidCAM.

While there is a lot to be said for SolidCAM, it will NEVER be close to Mastercam as an efficient and user-friendly product.

quote:

Sure it is.

I am currently forced to use both MC and SolidCAM.

I thought my comment was reflecting on the the whole of the products as a tool not just one aspect. You can very easily pick apart software in comparisions and at the end of the day feel that you have to settle anyway. My question is does it have to be that way? I'm not in the business of closing my eyes to more viable solutions and in recent years have dedicated substancial resources in keeping those eye open.

I am not advocating SolidCAM, as if I was I may have become a dealer for the product.....the same goes for CAMWorks. At the same time I've taking a good hard look under the hood as from multiple perspectives.