Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5ax orientation in mc

kazmir44

New to 5 axis programming.

Vertical mill with a tilting rotary table.

Our post is configured to program from the center of rotation of the c and a. So, do i have to fixture the part(chuck), then figrue out how far off center it is located, and translate my geometry in mc to program it. Or is there another way?

confused.gif

Thanks in advance,

Jake

kaz,

that is correct. you can do this by translating your tool path in op manager or place the geometry at the know location.

What I do is place the part (in vise or fixture) then fid distance from COR to origin of part in "X" "Y", then I set my tool length offsets at COR in "Z". I have found that using "incremetal" on toolpath definitions works best, because if you have to move your geometry in "Z" then the toolpaths will follow where if you use absolute you will have to relect your rapid, retrac, top of stock and depth, that gets to be a pain very quickly. When using the incremetal be sure that you put in enough distance to clear part or clamps.

HTH

I was told by my Mastercam reseller/instructor that 99% of the time to not change the values for the TOP, for the 4th & 5th axis jobs. Leave them at zero for ORIGIN & change the C & T planes as needed. He said I would have less problems. So far it's working but I don't have much experience in 4th & 5th. Does anyone have any luck doing it different?

Well as I said we only do positional work with our 5th axis, pretty simple stuff compared to some of the things that I have seen around the forum. Basically you do all the pick-ups on the table, and put those values into a program, then the program pulls the angle from the zero sets table, and does a little math. If you are interested in more info, let me know. But you could pretty easily draw up your lines in 2d to find the center of rotation. I think some have even modeled the entire table.

i guess your working on a verticle mill.if the presetter is on the table then you just need to know the distance from the table to the center of A and probe or indicate the center ox C with A at zero.you probably have the number from the paper work that came with the rotab or it might be stamped on a nomenclature plate.