Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Differences V9 vs X & X2

Interspace

Hi! We are still using Mastercam V9, but I'm trying my boys to make their mind to the new version, as I want to move to it soon. They are afraid of the big differences they see banghead.gif , but I'm not sure if these are big ones or just a different "look".

Has anyone had any problems changing their version?

Thanks!

Shouldn't have to repost unless you are having problem with the part. The code will not look any different. What we did was program everything from when we installed X with X . And changed over any old programs if there was a REV change or a problem. We are still running some Version 8 programs.

And we also have kept 9 on the computer because you have to have it to open anything earlier than V8.

quote:

And we also have kept 9 on the computer because you have to have it to open anything earlier than V8.

I believe there is a c-hook that updates older files to V9...I think I asked about in the past...try a search...that way you can get rid of V9 also.

quote:

I guess you would have had to repost programs in version X that were made originally in V9.

Have you ever had any problem in this translation? Have you had any information loss or change?

There is no seamless transition from v9 to X/X2. You may see some information change. Curve5ax for example, has changed entry/exit moves (for the better) and occasionally the tool offset switches from right to left or the other way around when converting.

I finally got all of our legacy v9 programs converted to X2. First I watched backplot close on the new programs, then posted out each in v9 then X/X2 and did a file compare to see the differences. If there was anything strange, I investigated why. A lot of differences were negligible like changes in the 4th decimal place for whatever reason. But some of them like the offset and clearance changes were not.

A few of my toolpaths came in flawlessly like Contour I believe. Maybe if you have all 3ax it will work fine?? I don't know.

X/X2 is definitly easier and faster after you get used to it though.

my $.02

We have almost 1000 jobs here. There may be anywhere from 4 to 12 programs for each job. We have V3 to X2MR2SP1 files. I most times do not waste my time with anything older than V7. Just start from scratch. V8 and V9 files come in with very little problem is any. Lathe will give you the turret warning sometimes, but beisdes that no real big deal.

On a difference stand point i would think you could see a reduction of 20% to 40% in getting things done in Mastercam. I fly through stuff that was just a pain in V9. I have icon with most used things on the screen. I have my right mouse click customized to the hilt. The high speed toolpaths and advanced 5 axis toolpaths are something V9 does not have. Lathe is pretty much the same expect for some chuck and stock handing things, but nothing much different there. Yes it is different, but not in a bad way.

Lots of help here! Thans to all!

Well, I see that, if I need to repost, I'll have to be careful with the path, as I may have small changes (but not insignificant), as Wildcat99 says.

About what Connormac and Spade117 say, we also have some V8 files, I guess I'll have to ask the seller how to deal with them.

My target is to have ALL MC files in X or X2, but maybe we should keep one V9 just during the adaptation...