Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Variable feed on Full cuts.

Dracbus

We are trying to rough a pocket and the first pass takes a full cutt with the endmill and I was wondering if there was a way to slow down the feed rate on passes that are taking full cutts. I know HST will slow it down in the corners but the pocket is open on the ends so the corners dont need to be slowed down. If anyone knows how to make just passes that are taking those large amounts of material slow down then your imput would be much appreciated. I tried messing with the stock under HSt hoping it would recognize those passes but maybe im doing something wrong because i cannot seem to get it to work. Thank you.

Do you have some examples you can share. I can come up with some many ways to approach this, yet each one fits a certain type of pocket and what works for one type may not work for another. Slot will work for a standard shape pocket where as contour ramp made from a back plot of the pocket made into a chain will work odd shapes. If you can send me some problem files I will be glad to put some toolpaths to them so you can see what I am talking about.

I created a mcx file for you. I hope that gives you some ideas. ITis called CRAZY_POCKET_STARTS.MCX and it is in the MCX2_Files directory of the FTP.

HTH

Ill check out your file. Ill have to do it later at home since the FTP dosnt work right from my work place for some reason(hasnt since we added our server). I also contacted a mastercam dealer about it and they told me that if i ajust the material removal rate under highfeed machining that it should work. They were right, origanally it was set to 10 on a .500 dia. endmill so i droped it down to 2 and got what i was looking for. As far as what i am trying to cut it is a slot with both ends open and we start off the part on one end and the first cut is right down the center. Works its way from inside to out. Its actually just a test application that we are trying to get a method established so all of our programmers can recreate what we need on a consistent bases. We are just searching for a way to make an endmill adjust its feed rates depending on the amount of material it encounters.