Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

4 axis Tool Retract Gouge

MultiAxGod

I was wondering of anyone else is having problems with Multi Axis milling. When we program from one surface/curve/etc., to another, sometimes the backplot and verification will show the tool diving/going to the other side of/thru the part before the rotation takes place, but the posted code is correct. In other words the 'Z' is coming out to clear before a rotation occurs and stays clear during the rotation and enters the new area correctly in the g code. This occurs at random locations and appears to be no rhyme or reason for when it occurs as all settings/parameters are the same.

This wreaks havoc on the model and all of the g code has to be checked to make sure it is actually programmed correctly, which so far it has been. Doesn't matter whether it is programmed as a flowline/multisurface or curve.

We have sent a file to the reseller already for insight and all of our machine definition settings appear to be correct.

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same problems in multi axis?

confused.gif

quote:

when verify repositions a tool around a rotary axis (say the c axis on a table/table type machine), it repositions the tool, not the part as how it would be done a actual machine. this will run the cutter all the way through the part. Did this in 9 and X and X2....I can make a simple example of this if people wish to see.

I found the above comment here..

web page

In 4 axis I have seen this a lot. One fix is to make the retract and clearance planes zero. Now make a curve 5 axis toolpath for your clearance and see if that will backplot/verify right. I know a work around, but seen certain problems with verify with regards to multi-axis toolpath and this sometimes seems to solve the problem. If you need an example of this I have something on the FTP. It is called STARWORLD_5AXIS_CURVE_EXAMPLE.MCX and it is in the MX2 folder. Not a 4 axis part, but should give you some ideas about the start and finish I was talking about learned that one from gcode a few years back.

That example also shows how to use point to set tool at correct index positions when doing multi-axis toolpath and not sure where your tool where start for an operation.

HTH

Just an update FYI:

Hi Paul,

Sorry it took so long to reply. I'm not sure if I replied to this already.

Yes Verify doesn't simulate the move from 1 cut to the next correctly when then the rotary axis is involved.

This should be fixed in X3.

Thanks,

Guess we'll stop programming till then!! ROFL!

I know, use the workaround!

banghead.gif