Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Creating stock from a forging in X2

trumper777

Well let me start at the beginning. At our shop we primarily use forgings and do not start from bar stock or flat stock. In Mastercam when i start to write a program i go to click the create stock. I pull an .stl file for my stock option. (instead of rectangle, cylindrical etc..)

The material shows up on there but I can not machine on it. is there a way I can draw the stock to simulate my forging or is there any other way?

I have found that when I use an .STL file, it just gives me the periphery/countour of the stock and does not use it as for verify. For verification, bring in a solid (it will automatically import to a different level) and go into the verification, pick the yellow file folder with the exclamation on it, then pick the solid radio button and then the arrow to select your solid model. Save the file before doing this as sometimes it will delete the solid.

We don't start from a forging, but start from billet and go thru several steps. At each successive step, the model from the last step is used as the stock model for verification.

Sometimes, on the parameter screen for the solid selection, you may have to unselect Truesolid. Ours works sometimes and otehr times it doesn't.

Also look to see wether you have Translucent Stock selected on this screen.

Welcome biggrin.gif

Hope this helps!

cheers.gif

Use "Surface High Speed Toolpath" Rest Roughing toolpath type or Rough Restmill toolpath. On the Rest Material Parameters page check the CAD file or the .STL file option. On exit you will be prompted for the file to read. HTH

Is your stl stock just not in the right place for verify? If so, open the .stl in mastercam, translate it so it's super-imposed on your actual part. MAKE SURE VIEWS ARE SET TO TOP WCS, and save .stl from there. You can move the wcs all over the place for machining, and see all sides verified in one shot, but it's critical that you save the .stl in top.