Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Spaceball

rdshear

I just got a serial spaceball model IBM 6094-051 which I believe is equivalent to the 5000 serial model.

It has 9 buttons on one side and three on the other.

I have the drivers installed and it seems to be functioning just fine in X2 MR2 SP1.

I was just wondering what shortcuts you find to be most productive on the buttons, or how you have it setup?

Thanks,

Rick

This is what I used, it has varied "slightly" since I started.

1 - View Manager

2 - Named WCS

3 - Named Planes

4 - Create Plane by Geometry

5 - Level Manager

6 - ISO View

7 - ALT

8 - Delete

9 - ALT + C

A - Solid Shading

B - Op Manager

C - esc Button

Some of these will require you to map key functions for them and then record them into the settings as macros

I rarely if ever use the 1st 4 of what you have your buttons set to. I'm embarrased to say I haven't even explored some of those. frown.gif

I rarely change my WCS. When I 1st went to class to learn Mastercam a couple of years ago, I cam back all excited and started programming a part, creating and changing to a different WCS for each setup on the job. The file got so large and cumbersome that it started doing weird things. I gave up on the WCS and ended up just moving the part and starting a new file for each setup.

The others I use on a regular basis and are great ideas.

I'd just have to be careful of the Delete... wink.gif

I have been using a Spaceball for the past 6 years, and it's my opinion that there is no one shortcut setup that works for everybody. I would start with something like what Paris showed, but leave out any that you don't use, or are afraid of hitting by accident. As you begin to grow accustomed to your Spaceball, keep aware of what fuctions cause your fingers to leave the Spaceball and mouse most often, and THOSE are what you should be putting onto the Spaceball. Remeber that you can also speed some things up by customizing your right click menu in Mastercam as well. The whole idea is to keep your hands on the mouse and Spaceball as often as possible.

After a while, you will get it set in a way that is perfect for you.

[ 03-24-2008, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: Racerx ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I have a SPaceNavigator and it has 2 buttons (skimpy I know but hey, my memory id terrible and it works great and travels great too so it works...)

My right button turns shading on and off, and my left button sets point of rotation.

HTH

quote:

As you begin to grow accustomed to your Spaceball, keep aware of what fuctions cause your fingers to leave the Spaceball and mouse most often, and THOSE are what you should be putting onto the Spaceball.

Racerx: Very good suggestion. I'll do that. I've already added several of what JP has based on his suggestions.

quote:

I have a SPaceNavigator

I thought about getting one of those, but the price on my spaceball was right (FREE). If I find it to be as valuable as I hope, I may just invest in a more modern version of the spaceball that is USB or if I'm really feeling frisky a space pilot. biggrin.gif

quote:

frown.gif
you should give him another try
frown.gif

I actually have in very limited usage. Normally on small projects. I'm still gunshy on a large model especially if I have to use surface toolpaths. Those were what I had problems with corruption of the MCX files and inability to regenerate toolpaths that were good, after only a slight change.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, Keep em coming... cheers.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...Can you select axis of rotation with the space navigator?...

quote:

I have a SPaceNavigator and it has 2 buttons...my left button sets point of rotation...

rolleyes.gif