Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MCX Hanging Too Often

Bruce Kanzelmeyer

Ever since my installation of MCX2 MR2 I have been having issue with Mastercam locking up, hanging, esp. when working with SurfaceHST toolpaths. It seems to happen after a HST toolpath has been copied several times. When I click on the parameter form in the copied toolpath, Mastercam locks up. When I go into the Task Manager, I notice that explorer.exe process is pegged at 25% CPU (I have a quad processor). The only way to get back to functionality in MCX is to close Mastercam, it sends an error report and then reboot the computer. If I just try to open mastercam again, it will lock again as soon as I try to open a parameter page in one of the HST operations. I have tried to repair Mastercam; I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times and can't seem to shake the problem. It seems like it's some kind of Windows issue, but I had not experienced this before latest update of MCX and apparently its not an issue that others are experiencing to a great extent. Does Mastercam use explorer.exe for some internal functioning? Why would it be hanging on my machine?

Thanks for any insight into this issue.

Bruce,

I don't know if it's related but when we first installed mr2 I had all kinds of problems. You can search some of the threads with a lot of us pulling our hair. My reseller finally had me do a total unistall, registry cleaner and then a stand alone install. Try what Collin said first, but if other parts of mastercam is having problems, too, you might search some of the older threads and see if you need to do anything more drastic. Since I did that, most of my mc issues have stopped except that it is soooo dang slowwwwwwwww compared to my previous versions.

Look in System Config/Files

for the path to the TEMP folder.

With Mastercam closed, this folder

should be empty. Mastercam closes

all the files in this folder when you

shut it down. Crashes and abnormal

shutdowns leave debris behind.

This debris can cause trouble with future

sessions of Mastercam.I have no idea if cleaning

the TEMP folder will help with this problem.

I suspect that a whole lot of data gets

written to this folder while editing and regening

a high speed toolpath.

To see what I mean, clean it out, then open a large

MCX with lots of solids and surface tool paths.

Then ckeck out the TEMP folder, regen a few

surfacing toolpaaths and look again.

There is a lot of action going in that folder.

Cleaning it out has helped some guys who were

having frequent crashes... maybe it will help here too???

• 1 month later...

I only export operations and import them with 'disable duplicate tools checked' when doing both.

An all paths work everytime.

i stopped copying path because of that and other related problems

also, reload your machine def, it is weird but sometimes I get a message saying I can't use this path or a crash?? untill I reload it. when it locks up while just clicking the parameter of a path this is the fix for me.

M2c's

rick