Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MasterWorks Forum

fistafury17

I'd like to hear from all you Mastercam and Solidworks users regarding what capabilities you would like the upcoming Solidworks imbedded software to have.

Personally. I'd like to see the software run in both the part and assembly modes. I'd also like to have a transform Toolpath type function driven by a sketch or component pattern where I could use the skip instances feature.

Additionally, I'd like to see toolpaths dedicated to configurations within the same assembly or part file.

anybody who is using Solidworks knows the design capabilities are absolutely limitless and can see the infinite potential of MasterWorks.

Of course not Jay, I know what you know, pretty much anyways. You've at least seen it.

wink.gif

My point was there is not point in discussing wants or anything else about at the moment.

Development on it AFAIK is done.

"...This is a moot point until it's released and we actually see WHAT it is..."

"...My point was there is not point in discussing wants or anything else about at the moment.

Development on it AFAIK is done...."

I'd like to hear what people would expect it to do - I don't like to think that we're here working in a vacuum!

What do I expect it to do? From a toolpathing point of view, everything it does now. From simple countour ops driven by a sketch or solid edge, to full 5 axis. Needs to work in assembly and part mode. Machine simulation driven by solidworks models not STLs. Support WCS/stock rotation/multiple setups/multiple machines in simulation.

My biggest fear is that some of the 2d functions will be lost because they work best with wireframe geo and everyone wants to go straight from the model now. My next biggest fear given I am about to buy a seat of MC myself and get back into it, is how pricing/licensing will be handled.

Bruce

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...My biggest fear is that some of the 2d functions will be lost because they work best with wireframe geo and everyone wants to go straight from the model now...

ANYTHING that takes away from current functionality would be bad. Driving off created wireframe is on occasion the ONLY way to properly cut a feature.

JM2C

I saw a demo of Mastercam in SolidWorks

at Westec.

I think it will take a couple of years

for it to mature into what most people

want it to be.

Pricing and licensing issues, even the

name itself are still up in the air

at this time.

The demo I saw was mostly the new

FBM module (feature based machining)

and FBD (feature based drilling)

I did not see any 2D toolpaths demo'd

and don't know if they will be included

in the first release.

I hope all the tradtional 2d and 3d toolpaths

will be there.

If not, I will wait till they are before

deciding whether to buy it or not.

gcode,

I've used SolidCAM and CAMworks along with HSMWorks and hyperMILL in SolidWorks.

I used to work for In-House Solutions (Mastercam in Canada)and then left to explore SolidWorks Integrated CAM solutions as I was convinced then and really am now that Inegration is the way to go. I am I tool and Die Mold Maker by trade and Have spent majority of my career designing & programming.

Now if you would like to compare products..... and wiegh the pros and cons of CAM systems particularly to do with integration, fire away.

SolidCAM is better as all the software are than what they were two years ago. Develop or Die!

What kind of work do you do? How do you currently use your software tools?

What I found in my extended trial of all the SolidWorks Integrated CAM software the development of the softwares, people behind the softwares.....etc. hyperMILL and HSMWorks really was the cream that rose to the top. Open Mind (hyperMILL) in a nut shell are the masters on integrated CAM, this is the foundation of development from day one. Pick your poison, Proe Catia5, Autodesk Inventor and now SolidWorks.

PS don't let the name fool you lathe is supported from the simple two axis to multiple variations of Mill/Turns.

Ask away I really can go all day.

quote:

HSMWorks really was the cream that rose to the top.

That is my impression too.

My concern with HSMWorks is that they

have no dealer network yet.. which means

little if any support.

They don't have 5 axis yet, but I suspect

that is only a matter of time.

Thier website has a list of bug fixes/

new features etc and it looks like they release a

new version every 4 to 6 weeks.

I think they will be a dominant player in a couple

of years

gcode,

If you need 5axis, hyperMILL is the dominant player in this arena not just in the integrated solutions.

Don't be fooled by the list of bug fixes, I would consider it more full disclosure....airring the laundry for all eyes....that sort of thing. The dealer network, well we will have to wait and see. All I can really say about that is that there is a lot of talent behind the software.....this goes for hyperMILL/Open Mind as well.

quote:

Don't be fooled by the list of bug fixes, I would consider it more full disclosure....airring the laundry for all eyes

Keith.. you misunderstand me.. I think the list

of bug fixes for all to see is great.. not at all a negative factor.

I worked ( very briefly) for a company

that had a seat of Hypermill and got

a couple of classes in it. Hypermill looked

to be very powerful software...It was also

very very expensive.. They had $100K into

that seat and still didn't have a full license.

I currently own a full seat of Mastercam

and contract with it in my spare time.

I could never pony up the kind of $$$ Hypermill is looking

for.

HSMWorks can do all my customers require

and its reasonably priced. I tried it

out when it was first released and had trouble with

it. I've been following thier website

since then and its clear they are aggressivly

working to improve it.

gcode,

You really only get in to the six figures when combining alot of very special modules for doing things like tire molds and turbine blades....please don't tell me that you can do the same with Mastercam.

If you would like pricing on hyperMILL just ask (not on the forum), I will tell you this though it is competitive...some cases ultra competitive because really alraedy have the CAD software. I bet what you paid for Mastercam could be relitvely the same as a SolidWorks/hyperMILL combo. I really do know what the prices are for your Mastercam, unless your reseller bumped the price up on you and I know what you would pay for hyperMILL and SolidWorks.