Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

4th axis V9

Flycut

I put a file on th FTP site in the MC9_files folder called 4th axis vic.

If anyone has a second I'm sure it would be quite simple.

What I have so far is 3 operations and 3 work coor. but I think it can be done all in one shot, I just don't know how.

Any help would be nice.

Thanks again guys!

quote:

tell if its what you wanted.

Yeah that's exactly what I'm trying to do.

Trying to go with what Millman and John are telling me but with little luck.

I see you have some cross lines drawn up. I guess those are the "vector lines" Millman was talking about.

I'm goint to have to learn how to do this because I have 40 other parts similar to this one still to go.

Thanks guys. cheers.gif

Kannon

I'll play with that file and see if I can mimic what you've done.

Without looking at what he did that will be your lines and those lines control the normal or 4th axis position relative to the cut as you are going around the part. Now is this for a cam follower? If so I think you might be headed down the wrong path. If not then you should be good.

HTH

quote:

Yeah that's exactly what I'm trying to do.

cheers.gif

reselect lines used for vector lines.. then mix it up a bit and see how the toolpath reacts...

you can literally turn the toolpath inside out.

glad its what you wanted.

I am always learning also and wouldnt have got it without Rons tip on creating vector lines for toolpath control.

I never tried that path..

Thanks.. I also learned something new. cheers.gif

Thanks buddy.

I'm getting closer to what I need.

I found that after I posted the file the code was not comming out like I expected.

There were way to many "Z" and "Y" moves.

So far 3d contour with rotary axis substatution seems to be working .The only problem now is my "A" axis is going to fast for the programmed feed.

Well axis substitution was working on a few parts but they were less then 180 degrees and had no flat areas.

I tried to use surfaces for tool axis control and it seems to work well except for the areas it decides to skip. Anyone have a clue why it would skip spots when I use surfaces but not when I use lines?

4AXIS.jpg

Sorry, Flycut, I was looking at the surface, not the edges. CURVE5AX is the right way to trim the edges. The surfaces must be extended, or the toolpath runs off near X=0. Create surfaces from the solid, delete all but the 3 surfaces you need, and run CURVE5AX. E-mail me if you still have trouble. I'll send you my part.

Thanks all. cheers.gif

I'm flying now!

In the end, extending the surfaces and using projection normal to surface in my geometry (as per John's advice), did the trick.

Kannon,

Let me know if you'd like to see the final file I used.