Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

surface offset

tutran

Hi All,

I need some help in offseting surface.

I creatting surface from a solid model in SW. There are 3 separate surfaces on the part. When I use the flowline tool path, one surface offset in one direction, one in another. How do I fix the the surfaces so they can offset in one direction. I have to end up do one op per surface at a time. Thanks alot.

Thanks Eric. One more questions if you don't mind.

Why is it when I set the normal for three surface so the arrow going one way, it doesn't work. I have to set two going same way and the middle going opposite, then it's work. Thanks

Tutran,

This has nothing to do with the surface normal direction, it has to do with the way the surfaces are "built" internally in Mastercam. Each surface has a set of U,V parameters which you can think of as the flowline "cut direction" lines that flow across a surface. Depending on how that surface was originally constructed, the UV curves may run parallel to the UV curves of another surface, and they may not. It sounds like yours do not run parallel to each other.

The short answer is that sometimes flowline will just not let you cut several surfaces at the same time, using the same parameters (cut direction).

So your choice is, use separate flowline toolpaths to individually machine each surface, or use Surface | Finish | Blend to machine the surfaces.

Blend is like Flowline on steroids.

It requires that you use two (and only two) chains to drive the toolpath across the surfaces.

This can be as simple as two straight lines, or two complex chains.

You can even chain a single point and then chain a rectangle (any closed chain), and Mastercam will spiral out from the center.

Blend is an incredibly powerful toolpath. Do a search on Blend and I'm sure you will get a lot of information.

Feel free to put a file on the FTP and I'll write a blend toolpath when I'm at home as an example.

HTH,

Blend is a great tool path. Colin show it to me at a seminar a year ago and I've been using it ever since. Only problem with it is a long tool path generation on large surfaces. Maybe MC will help that one along. biggrin.gif