Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

3d mouse

elraiis

hey guys... i finally got my hand on the space nav 3d mouse. as much as i was eager to use this thing, i never thought it would require so much focus! how much time did it take you guys to get used to using it? it made me dizzy today and its sooooo sensitive my God.. its cool though.. gives things a little fun touch .. biggrin.gif

peaceeeeeeeeeeeeee

It won't always require close focus. After you get used to it it will feel like an extension of your hand and motion will become very fluid.

A couple of weeks and you should be flying along

a month and you'll wonder how you ever got along without it

wink.gif

elraiis

I have a space pilot and one thing I found that helped me was to turn down all the settings so it is easier to control. I think the defaults are a little too fast. I'm still getting used to mine. I like it but sometimes it gets pushed aside and covered up by papers etc... on my desk and I forget it there. I need to force myself to use it all the time so it can become an extension of my hand. My boss uses his alot and loves it.

Justin

the papers pile up is going to be a probelm here as well.. biggrin.gif i just hope the space nav wil be respeced enough that it wouldn't be buried in papers.. wink.gif

i did what you said and yes it helps a little to have things move slower so i can somewhat control things.

peace

I have one too and i simply LOVE IT!

but i seriously hate how mastercam expects you to rotate the view, always around a fixed point.

why cant i rotate it around the center of the display?

the way it is now works fine if youre using the mouse to rotate, but it sucks monkeys xxxx when used with a spacemouse/3d mouse

i tryed the free rotate feature but it still sucks..

and i really dont like the idea of having to marking my center of rotation in order to get the rotation right..

is there any way around this?

i can't be much of help hence am new to the mouse myself man.. but i guess ur right i noticed this as well. although i have no idea what is the center of rotation used when am using the 3d mouse.. defenately not the middle of the part though hence the part doens't rotate in a balanced manner. i gotta check.. .maybe the center of rotation is the datum did u check that?

The default center of rotation is the orgin of your part. This can be realy bad if your part is in aircraft space and you are using a WCS for machining.

Just touch your 3D controller and your part is thrown off the screen.

This works for a Space Pilot.. I don't know if it will work on other products.

Go to tool bar "Customize" by right clicking an empty spot on your tool bar and selecting

"Customize"

Find "View Manipulation" in the drop down

The last icon on the right bottom row is

"Select Motion Controller Rotation Position"

You can drag and drop it into your tool bar

or put in in your Right Mouse Button.

Once you've done this, launch the command and

select a point on your model.

This will be your new center of rotation

I have an old spaceball 5000 at work, when I take work home now my left hand tries to rotate the thing. I must look retarted (even more than usual).

+1 to gcode on the right mouse menu for "select motion controller center point" I use it constantly. You don't even have to click on geometry just off in space it will get the idea. Like was said, I don't know how I did this without one.

Dennis

• 5 years later...

The default center of rotation is the orgin of your part. This can be realy bad if your part is in aircraft space and you are using a WCS for machining.

Just touch your 3D controller and your part is throw off the screen.

This works for a Space Pilot.. I don't know if it will work on other products.

Go to tool bar "Customize" by right clicking an empty spot on your tool bar and selecting

"Customize"

Find "View Manipulation" in the drop down

The last icon on the right bottom row is

"Select Motion Controller Rotation Position"

Yoy can drag and drop it into your tool bar

or put in in your Right Mouse Button.

Once you've done this, launch the command and

select a point on your model.

This will be your new center of rotation

Thanks Gcode! I've been fighting this all day!

is this still the only way or is there something that will make center of rotation the center of your screen... always...

Thanks gcode!!! I'm trying to rotate and select a chain at the same time but having no luck... I thought you could do this but not sure? Is there a setting or something for this? I just bought this spacemouse so THANKS for the tip on the center of rotation.