Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

What is the best way to machine this?

Tinhman

The top circle in two steps from straight on you could contour leaving as small of a rad as possible then index your tabel to be parallel to the angle and profile with a sharp end mill and it would take out the small rad. The bottom one you could come from the top with a long endmill depends on the scale of the drawing. Or like Ron said use EDM.

Like Greg said, for the top, I would use a 3d contour following the lines at intersect using the smallest possible emill, then sneak it in until the Z gets close, then rotate to the next angle and repeat. It should come out acceptable.

For the bottom rad, your going to half to stand it up in a second set-up. Hard to tell from the picture how deep that is, or the RAD size. My first thought would be to grab a ID groove tool from the lathe and pick it out. Watch out for clearance at the top of the part, it looks like a edge extends over the geometry your trying to cut. EDM would probably take longer/cost more.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

The top one - EDM is the only way you're going to get it EXACTLY like that. The bottom one you could swarf away the radius left from the ball endmill... not going to be 100% clean but there's a chance it may be good enough.

That is exactly what i am thinking guys.

The top radius, i will going in with small ball EM and do 3D. After that let the detail guys take care the left-over Rad.

The bottom contour, i want to use the 5 axis option and force it post out 4 axis but i do not know how to do it (never try it before). Please help me get this start.

Thanks for everything guys.

Tinhman