Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Custom Tools

Why am I getting such a big difference between tool paths both on verify and the NC file? The 1st one I’m defining the tool as a 5.0 inch ballnose full size. The second path is the same as the 1st but the tool is defined as a custom tool that is 1.00 wide with a 2.5 inch tip radius with a .125 corner radius on it , the tool shape is drawn to full size with only half of the profile drawn with no center line drawn and I’m use undefined tool type. The surface that I'm cutting has a slite contour that drops off from the center of part by 3/8 over 8 inches. Any help would be gratefully appreciated ,which tool path do I trust.

Thanks Chris

quote:

The second path is the same as the 1st but the tool is defined as a custom tool that is 1.00 wide with a 2.5 inch tip radius with a .125 corner radius on it

That one lost me got a picture?? All custom tools must have a center line and be closed. I do no know of any other way it will work. Does it show right when you back plot, or Verify?

HTH

Hi Ron

The profile is open not closed. That is the way I was told to do it a long time ago and it has always worked for me not to have the profile closed could use a dashed line for the center of the tool axis but its not needed . It looks good the back plot and verifier but when I run the same toolpath with a 5.0 inch ballnose there is a difference the custom tool leaves move mat'l on the surface and when I post it there is a difference in size, both tools should be the same just the custom tool does not have the full 2.5 inch radius like the ballnose does.

I would insert a pic of it but I don't know how to add a pic. to my reply

Thanks Chris

Oh yea I’m use Mastercam X2 MR1

quote:

custom tool does not have the full 2.5 inch radius like the ballnose does.

Nills I do think that is what he talking about. Would a bull tool with the radius you have work?? It is the double radii that is losing me sorry. You can put the file on the FTP with just these 2 tools and the surface. Or you can email it and when I get a little time I will be glad to take a look to see if I see something that needs to be done different.

HTH

Thanks for everybody help. I found my problem why it wasn’t working for me. When I defined me tool I was using undefined tool type and when using that style the tool has to be drawn to full size of the half profile and you can only side mill with it or cut with the very bottom you can’t hemstich with it mastercam gets lost, to use a tool like the one I was using you have to use a different tool type I used sphere mill tool type with a custom file or custom level drawn to half profile scaled to a 1.00 radial then mastercam scales it back to what ever size you callout for tool dia. then you can hemstich with it. I called my local mastercam dealer and they helped me out with this I was using the wrong tool type for the application I was trying to use the tool for. Though I would pass this along to you. Also thanks too Rich G from Cimtech for helping me put

Thanks Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Toolman,

In my experience with the custom tool function, and alot of other funtions in Mastercam is they are kind of flakey, I have had times when it works either way, with or without a CL, I have also seen where it won't work on a custom level for a tool profile even when that is the only geo on that level I have to export the geo to it's on MCX file and reference that file and then it works fine. Sometimes I have to try two or three different ways to get it to work.

banghead.gif