Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Obese file size

DWD

hello all,

I've got a bunch of mcx files i'm working on that take 10+mins to load. I looked at the file size on disk and they are 150-200 megs in size. They really shouldnt be, there's nothing fancy there. I ran ram saver and it couldn't reduce the size. I then exported the toolpaths, saved the geometry only to a new file, and imported the toolpaths into that file. It went from 180k to 1k. I'm thinking it's because these files have had many other files(geometry) merged into them many times... Any way to fix this without going into each one and exporting/re-toolpathing?

I've tried to delete duplicate entities and there is none. How do I check for duplicated groups?

There is no models involved, just lines and arcs and a few surfaces that were deleted after being imported. Thanks for the input...

Ok. Thanks a ton guys. Problem solved. I checked groups and there were 76 groups - none of which I was aware of. I deleted them all but almost no change in file size. I then unblanked entities and found duplicate surfaces EVERYWHERE. I deleted all the junk and this file is now less than half a meg. Thanks again and any tips for avoiding this in the future? I guess I should just go through and clean up all my files so when I merge them into other files the junk will not transfer?

Another thing that causes mega files is the redo/undo buttons. If you set it to limit the redos to just a few(1 or 2) it does not save all the geometry for the redo to go back 100's of times. When I was new at M/C I would just pull up a file and delete the geometry, import the new geometry in to the file and use set up I had made This is where M/C was remembering all the old Geometry, so if I hit the redo button 500 times I could go back. Did not know that then but now mine is set at 2. No more mega files.