Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Editing a toolpath

Thad

I have an open ended pocket that I have enclosed so I can machine it as a pocket. Then when I remachine it to tighten up the corners, MC wants to remachine the corners in the open end also. Can I edit the toolpath so it doesn't machine in the open corners? I've seen similar edits done with other systems on 3D programs where you can "window in" on an area and chop it off. Because of other circumstances, I can't make the radius' in the open corners a size so that there won't be any stock left in those corners to machine. That was my first thought. Any other ideas? Using v7.2c.

Thad

If you simply want to remachine, finish your original pocket routine, the select CONTOUR. Chain only the area you want to remachine. Once inside the parameters section, use the "drop down menu box" and select remachining.

FORGET about what I just said, I missed the part about you using V7.

Sorry,

[ 05-30-2002, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: Trevor ]

thad what i was talking about is editing the program before posting using Toolpaths,NextMenu,Trim.

create a boundry around the area you want to keep.

and pick the nci file that you want to tim to the boundry. Woola wink.gif

I don't know how you followed what I wrote before I fix this. eek.gif

[ 05-30-2002, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: cadcam ]

Thad,

A method I used with V7 for your type of operation was to "break" the ends of the lines that meet at the corners you want to remachine. Usually a little more than the radius of the finish tool. Once you do this, just create another toolpath only using the sections you of the corners themselves. This method requires a bit more work with the geometry, but it works well.

Jay,

That sounds like what I'm looking for. I'll have to play with it. Other than clicking "save" when prompted, I know very little about NCI files or what you can do with them. Ahh, the joys of learning a new system. I got a crash course in MC before my predecessor (sp?) left. No one else in the company knows anything about it. So far, I've been able to figure it out, or I ask you guys. wink.gif Now that you mention it, I did run across the "Toolpaths,NextMenu,Trim" feature when searching the help file. I guess I just didn't know how to use it. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Trevor, thanks for the other option.

Thad

"thad what i was talking about is editing the program before posting using Toolpaths,NextMenu,Trim.

create a boundry around the area you want to keep.

and pick the nci file that you want to tim to the boundry. Woola

I don't know how you followed what I wrote before I fix this. "

Jay,

I *didn't* follow you. I was just going to print it out and try it out when I had a chance. I still have not got to do it yet. Been too busy. Thanks for the help.

Thad