Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Lathe Stock Transfer Wigging out???

crazy^millman

Ok I am programming using the stock transfer. I can make the whole operation tree dirty and regen with no problems. I do this several times in a row with no problems. Then I do it again and then I get the stock defined in both spindles can not regen operation. I then try to erase the stock out of the sub spindle only to be told I must erase it out of the transfer operation. Big problem here I never use the transfer geometry. I use the transfer stock, but not the transfer geometry. What in the world is going on. I then try to go back to the Set-up page and crashed every time. I know some of you live in the world of no crashes and good for you that have this luck. I however do have this, and do have the crrect video card, processor, memory, OS, and allocated memory for Mastercam. I close the file bring it back up all is good again until this happens then I have to go to my last back-up pull it up and life is good again for about 4 or 5 dirty operation regens then I go through the whole thing again.

In case you are wondering I am getting a post dialed in and every time you change anything in the Control def and you are in Lathe and have to recall the control def it always dirties your operation thus you have to regen all the operations. Love that about lathe really sucks that Mill does not make you regen every time you make a simple text change to the control Def those in Mill are so missing out of the fun that lathe has to offer making operation dirty, for changes in misc integers, control def, even a fart and the lathe operation go dirty. Mill people just have it so hard with all the operation staying clean when you do this. I feel bad for all the milling programmers who have it so hard. bs.gifbs.gifbonk.gifbonk.gif

So what do others see when using the wonderful stable transfer option in Mastercam???

Ron,

I experience the exact same issues you do. The "stock defined in both spindles" error drives me crazy sometimes, as does the dirtied operations frown.gif

We're programming a Okuma Multus B400W. The post is pretty dialed, but there are still other features I want to add.

I saw that in the sample you sent me a while back Greg. The thing is, you shouldn't have to use three stock transfer operations to achieve that though.

I must try your method though. If you find it more stable, it has to be a good thing smile.gif

Ron,

Since you and I have been talking (some 6 or months ago) I have been using stock transfer for my Integrex. I can admit that on the 'rare' occasion I do get the error from which you speak, but it is very uncommon.

I do get dirty ops on head 1 when I do something on head 2...again occasionally, which kinda baffles me cause if head 1 is done already why would working on head 2 have any affect on head 1??

That aside from nearly never getting that operation error about the stock, I find stock transfer to be very useful, adaptive, a little primitive I will admit, but functional.

Good chance there is something you did wrong in the transfer itself to cause this error. Usually I save just prior to my transfer and when I get silly things happen (again, rarely now) I just reload and try again and usually that fixes it.

quote:

Usually I save just prior to my transfer and when I get silly things happen (again, rarely now) I just reload and try again and usually that fixes it.

This is what I am doing. The thing that is driving me crazy is I am doing nothing with the program itself. The program is fine and makes the code. I am trying to change things in the post to get it perfect. When you change the control def for modifying text on misc text and custom text in lathe you must always reload the machine and control def. This is what makes the operation dirty nothing I am doing to the operations themselves just changing control def items. The one that is causing this now is the debug. I want to debug the code and this dirties the operations, so when I regen I get this. I just got to the point I copied the program over and call it Transfer_Broken erased the transfer operations and started debugging it that way. Then when I get everything dialed in I will just post it with the good program that has the transfer like it has always been and will be good to go. Sucks to have to do this work around, but welcome to the wonderful world of lathe.

I am using 2 transfer operations like so. I call a point toolpath and put the part off tool at the part off place. Enough clearance in X same place in Z. I then using a trick Don showed me calling up the 1st transfer to put the sub spindle at the right place all set-up with the code. I then call a part off operation. I then call the 2nd transfer to pull the part away from the main spindle and send the sub spindle home. All the motions are all controlled inside on Mastercam between the Misc and Real Integers in the Transfer. Post out close to good, just needs tweaking thus the problem transfer shutting down Mastercam. I am sending the errors in, just a pain I have to save it out fix the post then I can finish.

Thanks for the suggestions.