Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Chamfering 303

Can anyone suggest a good tool for chamfering 303 stainless that has not been heat treated. The part is .250 thick. The chamfer is 30 degrees by .170 deep all around the profile of the part. The part is about 20 inches long and 4 inches wide. I tried a 2 flute carbide chamfer mill and it chipped out on the first part. Because of clearance issues .500 is the biggest I can go on the diameter of the chamfering tool. Should I use carbide, HSS, Cobalt or possibly a tool with inserts. Also how many flutes. I need to make about 100 pieces on a 40 taper horizontal.

Thanks

In the past when I have had to put a chamfer on a difficult material that was chipping the cutter I would use a ball nose and semi-finish the chamfer in a few steps down so it would not leave very big scallops. The bigger steps or scallops from using a square corner roughing tool are very hard on the chamfer tool.

• 3 weeks later...