Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Stl X3 support

Fig sign

I want to say that I like it so much !

I tried STL model some 50 megs and some million and the half triangles .

I was not able to use it in X2 and now I have this surface mesh entity ,make a bbox ,define stock and make rough operation and all in ten minutes .

Superb !

Many thanks

I have considered buying Magics, Colin.

I've used the trial and it worked great. I have also tried other more reasonably priced software solutions. The problem I have is I only need 1 function of the software. I will never use any of the RP features that I have to justify paying for frown.gif

And to my dismay, management is not buying into the necessity yet either. banghead.gifbonk.gif

Just hoping that CNC will come through on this first.

I got pretty excited when I saw stl enhancements.

Does that mean that the new additions will NOT work the way I want?

quote:

Does this offer any benefit to verify' use of stl files?

It works much better now than in X2. I have some big parts that I verify operation at a time and then save it as an .stl to use it as a stock for the next operation. In X2 the verify usually choke at some point but in X3 it works good.

I too like being able to import (merge) an STL file as a "mesh" and then machine andor shade it.

FYI - when merging an STL file, click the "options" button and select "import as STL Mesh" and NOT "Import as Lines".

However I think there is minor problem, but I dont know if its just my computer (video card). When I have a STL mesh and I select "only display associative geometry" in the OP manager, the mesh is visible even if it is not being used for that toolpath.

No, I haven't given up on ya Ernie.

I'm still working with Reverse but I'm still having issues with large stl files. I have been using Reverse to filter them but sometimes in order to make them small enough to not choke Mastercam the quality is gone defeating the purpose of using the STL. The ol' catch 22.

I'm just hoping Mastercam can advance at working with them.

I think Part of it is I could use a computer upgrade too.

Management doesn't want to pay for that either! frown.gif