Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X3 Solids undo bug?

DanaEd

Using undo, does not seem to change the solid but it DOES delete the last piece of geometry used to create the feature, so if you delete that by using undo the feature created with that geometry will fail.

I could see creating a base feature, wanting to change something, hitting undo and losing the solid, but you've actually lost the defining geometry of the solid.

1)All Geometry was created and file was saved.

2)created solid body from the geometry.

3)extruded several holes thru body

4)cut several chamfers on the body

5)after I cut a chamfer and wanted to delete it,instead of a right click on the chamfer in the tree to remove it I selected undo under the file menu and all geometry and the solid was gone (screen went blank).

It was restored after selecting redo.

Undo will remove the entire solid, not an operation on the solid. For example, if you perform an extrusion to create the base solid and then extrude some holes through the solid. Now using undo will remove the entire Solid completely and not just undo the extrusion of the holes.

Undo will remove the solid and leave the geometry unless you keep using undo and then ofcourse it just keep removing what ever you created or did.

Again, specific steps will help us track down exactly what is going on. smile.gif

quote:

after I cut a chamfer and wanted to delete it,instead of a right click on the chamfer in the tree to remove it I selected undo under the file menu and all geometry and the solid was gone (screen went blank).

Yup Undo won't work on that, you have to do it in the solids tree.

When you clicked undo you removed the last piece of geometry you have created and the solid failed because of it, the redo and regen brought it back.

I followed the same steps and my solid was deleted by the undo but my geometry remained in tact. It might of just been a simple graphics hicup. perform the solid creation again, undo, then hit Alt F1 or some other screen function to see if the geometry is really there, just not shown (XOR type of thing).

What are you using for your Mastercam background?

John,

Read his steps. He creates ALL the geometry and then saves the file. Then creates the solids. Nowhere does he state he creates more geometry so the last thing created should be the solid and hitting undo once should remove the solid and not the geometry. Any additional undos would start to remove the geometry.

To undo a specific feature in the solid, you must do as John sates. Use the solids manager to remove or manipulate the individual features of the solid.

This was the first time I ever tried to use the undo in solids creation, I have been using MasterCam now for about five years.

I am using a gradient backround.

I tried to recreate the "hicup" but could not.

when I was having the problem I tried to repaint the screen and rotate my view but nothing worked. it was everything in the graphics window including my dislayed stock (wire frame).

Just one of those things.

Thanks guys,

What I like to do is right click on the solid operation and suppress it. Then if it looks like it needs to go or re ordered I can try that to solve a solid problem verse undo since it really has no bearing on solids and more to do with geometry creation. Seems weird, but they have their reasons and been that way since V8.1 you still never get use to it though.

Once I have a solid made I like to save it as a Parasolid and bring it back into my file on another level and then use it for machining and what ever else I am doing like Material for the stock or for set-up sheets, or even designing fixtures.

HTH