Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

A Better Way To Do This

NeilJ

For this example lets say I have programmed a "left hand" part with 20 operations. I now wish to program the "right hand" part. I mirror and reverse the toolpaths and then transform them for 3 vises (G54, G55, G56). The only way I'm told I can do this in Mastercam X2 MR2 SP1 is to mirror each toolpath individually (that would be 20 mirrored toolpaths in this example) and then transform all the mirrored toolpaths.

What I would like to be able to do is to mirror all the toolpath *at once* and transform them rather than being forced to mirror each toolpath individually. I've tried to do this all at once with no luck in Mastercam. I'm told I can't do this and that it's already been suggested as an enhancement.

Any suggestions for a better way to do this where I don't have to rechain the same geometry like in this example 20 times.

We do this all the time w/ X2.

Do a Transform toolpath. Choose the following options: coordinate method, operation order, create new operations and geometry. Select all the toolpaths you want to mirror using the control or shift keys. Set your mirror methods and hit the green checkmark.

You will now have new drive geometry associated with new toolpaths all nicely mirrored. Xform translate 'All Xform Result' and regenerate toolpaths and wa-la, mirrored and transformed part. Double check your toolpaths after the mirror opperation, sometimes a few paths will need to be re-chained.

This has been working well in X2 but is BROKEN in X3.

Jaz,

I've been doing this without the mirroring the geometry just the toolpaths. I'll try mirroring the geometry. Also had someone else suggest the same thing to me on alt.machines.cnc (Usenet)

I did see your other post on this not working in X3.

Thanks very much for your suggestion. I'll post if it works for me.