Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Catia

Montana Bear

Hello everyone.

Does anyone here know anything about Catia V5 PLM express for manufacturing? What we are running into is we are getting files from some customers to quote on and all they send is a Catia model info and no prints to determine any hairy areas of the part ,tight dimentions ,true posistions and so on . I need to know if this is what we need to get all info out of the dataset to be able and pull into MC3 and program a part to print. any help or ideas would be great.

Thanks Barry

Do they send you the catproduct or just the catpart file? We use it here and if you do not go into the tree and get the information out then it will look it is not there. If is Boeing, Spirit, or Goodrich they all are sending out the Catia files and you are having to extract all of that out of the file. So not only do you have to know Mastercam you have to be pretty good with Catia to get all the information. Goodrich is requiring a Software that cost about $15k to do this which above and beyond that Boeing is requiring. the MBD requirements for Boeing are not good enough for Goodrich and they have changed their Doc-300 to where you are required to go out and get the software that takes the captures from Catia in the tree, prints them out then takes all the Geometric information and puts it into your AS9100 form for FIA.

Verisurf is what we use to comply with the MBD requirements in that we use it to check our Models on our CMM. The automate part of Verisurf (though still stuck in V9 and needs to be updated to the X interface!!!!!!!!) does a good job for programming and making up all we need to check the parts.

Good luck, but I would suggest you dig into the tree and make sure the information is not just turned off.

HTH

There is a push for full Model Based Definition.

I am not familiar with PLM express, but CATIA has a ton of modules.

In my experience, depending on the customers we have:

Some include minimal dimensioned drawings to address Basic dimensions/feature control frames.

Some include parts lists that address these things.

Some of the CATIA files we get you need a Enovia DMU license in order to see the GD&T annotation.

Some are included in the CATIA file as Notes.

we usually get CATPart, CATProduct,

CATDrawings . We do have a Catia Converter for mastercam from our reseller and can open CATpart files and see the model but all i can get from that is a basic stock size for quoting. Am i missing something in that converter? another thing is when i downloaded X3 my converter is still in X2 so i still use X2 to open the files.

How do i go about geting the convertor into X3.

As for the plm express we just qouted it we dont have it yet they want 10,000 for it

Oh sorry we just got the quote for it today. I was just wanting to make sure that is what we are needing. I kinda feel like Dead Money in his post wearing all kinds of hats and not getting enough time to learn the Mastercam softwear i've been at it for about 10 months now and might get about 20 percent of my time that i can program and it doen't help that i have no one here that can help me. I've had about 3 3day classes with a teacher that helped but just not getting enough face time to learn everything.

• 3 weeks later...