Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Newbee needs help

carman

I know this sound vauge but that is because I am not sure where to start. I am a High school teacher that is new to MC. I have figured out how to make simple pockets with flat bottoms. What I want to do is a pocket that is 1.5" deep on one end and .5" deep on the other end. I am not sure what step to start looking up to follow. Does anyone have some tips on what to look up. I feel like I am looking up the word Pneumonia thinking that it starts with the letter n. I need some sort of direction.

Welcome carman!

Generally speaking, if you can create a 3D model of what you are looking for, there are probably 3 or 4 different Mastercam toolpaths that will machine it. It all depends on your preferences and your approach.

There is a 'books' link at the top of this forum that will take you to a selection of books by inhouse that should get you started. They have beginner level all the way through advanced. Those will help you to get the basics down.

After that, the BEST way to learn is to start creating geometry and machining it in CAD space. Experiment with a variety of toolpaths and strategies, and before long, you will start to develop a good feel for what each toolpath does, and how to use it. Practice, practice, practice is the key. After you accrue enough 'seat time', your comfort level will go up, and you'll be ready to start making chips! biggrin.gif

Also, you've come to the right place for advice.

You'll find this forum to contain a wealth of knowledge and experience, so don't be afraid to ask! wink.gif

Good Luck!! cheers.gif

This is a great site with a lot of help.

"Experiment with a variety of toolpaths and strategies"

I know this sounds odd but this was a great help. I had my head stuck in pocket mode and did not look at any of the other toolpaths down the page.

Thank all of you for the help.

Welcome to the forum carman, I just wanted to tell you that you've definetly come to the right place to get help...I am fairly green myself, but msot guys here are the most talented and knowlegable machinests you'll ever have the chance to virtually meet wink.gif

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

On a side note, It helps to butter the guys up once in awhile for when you need a beer...I mean favour wink.gifbiggrin.gif