Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Slot cutter speed and feed?

Greg_J

What would you run a 10" dia x .625 wide, .125 tip rad slot cutter. Cat 50 taper, 25hp spindle motor, very rigid setup in 4140 steel.

I presently I am making a flange have a 10.62 dia stock and I need to make it 5.6 dia x 4.25 leaving the flange 2.3 thick.

I have it set to run at 250rpm at 6ipm at .75 depth per pass, the first cut is full width so I have to slow it down in the feed. I have depth cuts of .5 and multi pass step at .75

What do you think?

150 RPM is at the high end (400sfm)

250 sfm is 95 rpm.

Even at the low end chip load your still at

8ipm (18inserts)

95*.005*18 = 8.55ipm

And dont be afraid to let it cut, most ppl tend

to slow it down at the first sound and end up

breaking inserts due to chatter.

PEACE biggrin.gif

for the first cut go with what sounds good and what the machine likes(spindle load ect.)

cut 1 (full) 124 RPM @ 6.696 (6.7)IPM

325 sfm .003 chip

cut 2 on up 152 RPM @ 19.152 (19.) IPM

400 sfm .007 chip

this would be a start. tweak as the machine,cutter wants it. i would try to get that heat into the chips. you may have to give it more feed if it starts to chatter or slow the rpm down(bring the chipload up).

HTH and good luck cheers.gif

Just making a stab in the dark here, but if the cutter has 18 inserts and it is 5/8" wide, you have 9 effective inserts per side when figuring out the feedrate going off of their recommended chip load. Sounds to me like you are doubling the recommended chip load. JM2C.

It went well I was cutting at 10 ipm at 170 rpm.

The next problem I have is that I need to create a large radius on the underside of the flange and a 45 deg on the side that meets the body.

I've cut the 45 part but I'm still working on the radius undercut. I am using surface finish flowline and it takes forever to calculate.