Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

What toolpath would I use?

Jon @ NOWHERE

Ok you guys have helped me out alot before in the past so here I am to pick your brains once more. Here is the situation I want to cut this thin wall on both the outside and inside including the radius at the bottom of the inside. I would like to do it all in one operation on each wall. Then I will go in there and pick up where the last tool left off and finish the rest of the outer wall down to the end of it. We are using a .750x.260 full radius wheel cutter to do so. How would I go about doing this? The thin wall is .060" thick and I've left about .04" material on both sides of the wall. The picture below shows the walls that I am talking about as well as how the part is sitting on the tombstone. I've been racking my brain on this one and really wish I knew how to use mastercam to its fullest, but one day I will get there hopefully. I want to achieve the best finish I can in the shortest amount of time, trying to cut down a 3hr cycle time as much as possible.

edit: Using X2 MR2 SP1

Thanks in advance

Jon

kamanribs_makinosetup.jpg

So you want to finish outside and inside of the walls until you get to the floor depth, then come back and clean up the outside?

I would use Surface Finish Contour with a containment boundary. This will give you a toolpath that wraps around the wall. I'm guessing you are using the wheel cutter because the walls are undercut and you can't use a regular endmill.

Surface Finish Contour and Surface finish Flowline are both capable of undercutting a part like this. Flowline will be more limited though, as it is better suited to single surface machining.

Can you put a file on the FTP site?