Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New System- Thoughts?

I just ordered the following

Intel Core I7 965 (3.2Ghz)

MSI x58 Platinum

6GB Corsair XMS3 PC3 12800

WD Velociraptor 300GB @ 10k RPM

and I will be using my ASUS 3870 X2

I was planning on using Vista Ultimate x32 as we stilluse some x16 software. Or would I be better off using XP Pro? We run X3 MU1, X2 MR2, V9.1 SP2, and V6.13

Thoughts Please??

Josh

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Hate to rain on your parade, but you're going to have a tough time running V6.13a on that MoBo. No Paralell ports and you need a Paralell HASP last time I checked to run V6.13a. headscratch.gif

No, We run All versions off of our USB hasps.We mainly use X3 MU1. We use V9.1 SP2 for Digitizing as in versions since you cannot see on screen what you are doing. And we only use V6.13 to access files created back before our switch over. So as long as those to function in Vista (doesnt have to be great) it could be worth it? I know the only real porblem I have seen is ruinninhg 6.13 on Vista X64 (it tweaks when you try to close it)

Still worth keeping XP Pro?

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

So I gotta ask, Jay, how does V6.13a run? I tried installing it on a system with only a USB HASP and no bueno... headscratch.gif Different drivers?

The advantage X64 will allow you to use all of your RAM. X32 will not.

quote:

Has anyone used a core i7 for mastercam yet?

Core i7 seems like the best way to go for Mastercam if you're doing a lot of surfacing toolpath. I'll be putting a system together with the top of the line Core i7 chip in a few weeks. I doubt I will over-clock it.

The i7 965 is over $1000, the 920 is $260 and from the reviews I've seen can be easily overclocked to speeds faster than the 965. It will be interesting to see what the i7 CPU's will do. Here is a roundup of X58 boards for the i7 CPU's. I would probably use the Asus or Gigabyte board but all boards were able to run the i920 at 4Ghz.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3471

quote:

I prefer Vista but havent used mastercam in Vista much. Just enought to know it works...

Vista Ultimate 64 is working just fine for me. 2 minute 57 second bench in X3 (best time out of three runs), and I can have Mcam and SW and whatever else I want all open at the same time without any hanging or slowness switching between them. I've also got Folding@home running on my GPU putting out some impressive numbers without slowing me down. The only problem I've had is a lack of a compatible printer driver for an antique printer. It runs WoW pretty well too. smile.gif

quote:

Unfortunately when I get my new system I wont be able to benchmark it as we lack the features required to run that file...

Ya, I couldn't until a few months ago either. When we come up with a new benchmark it should at least have a section that only needs level two, and maybe a section that only needs level one.