Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Can't modify geometry on letters...

MILLRUNNER

I am in the middle of drawing something containing letters. I started in V8.1, and then I finally opened the file up in X2 thinking it would make a difference.

When I try to modify the geometry that is associated with a letter and mix it with geometry that I have created, the two will not mix. For instance if I draw a line across a line of one of the existing lines from a letter, the line won't trim.

I am drawing a small necklace charm and I created letters to go inside of a heart that say "#1 Mom. I drew the heart "free hand" so to speak, and I am trying to merge the lines together so that I can burn the piece in a wire machine. No luck confused.gif

Why won't my geometry jive with the geometry from the letters??? bonk.gif

I'm pretty sure the letters are created using some type of spline, and that may be the reason I can't do anything with them.

"splines are not defined past their endpoints" What does this mean and how does it effect what I'm doing?

"also put c-plane in 2d when trimming" Is this the same as "top" view?

Where do I find screen-statistics?

how will I be able to tell if they are on the same Z level?

quote:

also put c-plane in 2d when trimming" Is this the same as "top" view

No, you can be 2D or 3D mode no matter what T/C plane you are in.

In Top view trim in 2D mode.

quote:

Where do I find screen-statistics

Screen stats can be found at the top of MC X its the icon that looks like a Z.

quote:

how will I be able to tell if they are on the same Z level?

F4 Analyze will give "Z" position.

Look at it from the front are they all at the same height.

You can project all the enities to a Z height in Top C/plane

Project is the new squash form V9.

As others have said you can not toolpath drafting notes the geom must be created from "Create Letters"

If you did a drafting note this must be converted by break, modify drafting

quote:

"splines are not defined past their endpoints" What does this mean and how does it effect what I'm doing?

It means that you cannot use trim to extend splines. (Don't confuse this with the extend sub-function of the trim command in VX or later.) When trimming splines, they must physically intersect, as opposed to simply having a theoretical intersection point. Two lines, on the other hand, don't have to physically intersect. Trimming them will extend them, or shorten them, depending on their existing length. If the splines don't physically intersect, you have to extend them so they physically intersect, THEN trim them.

Thad