Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

High speed drilling

lwells

Running X3 with a new mori seiki nh6300. Drilling 8 .669 dia. holes 8" through 1020 h.r. steel. Simple bolt pattern. Just dropped some change on a guhring 17 mm solid carbide coolant through profile drill,9" flute. Plan to run in a r32 collet holder.Flange coolant though equiped with a chip blaster. 1000 psi I believe. I'm an old school bar guy so this should be interesting.I usually run drills between 50-100 sf. Would really like to see what my new baby can do. 8x8=64 holes. Thanks. Love the forum.

Personally I would ask the tool supplier for their recommendations, that way if the tool goes boom on the first hole, you may have some recourse to get a replacement.

One rule of thumb I do go by when highspeed drilling is feed at 65% for the first %65 of the drill diameter.

Just for reference, we recently finished a job in mild steel where we used a solid carbide drill. No thru coolant though. We actually ran the tool dry, as per Kennametal's reccomendation (yea, it blew my mind to.) The holes were thru 1.5", and we ran at 1650 RPM, initial feed of 14 IPM, then a full feed of 21.5 IPM. We managed to do over 2500 holes before the drill needed replacing.

Solid carbide, thru tool in 1020..you are close to 12x dia. to depth...I don't know which Guhring series drill you have but you should be somewhere around 300 - 350 SFM, but at 12x D you should probably be starting those holes with a shorter drill...+1000 for getting recomendation from your supplier, that's not a cheap drill.

have fun.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

For 16x diameter and above I use a pilot hole .0005 larger than the drill about and 1.5-2x diameter deep. I turn on the spindle and flood coolant @ 500 rpm, feed from about .05 above the top at about 1-2 IPM. Once at 1x diameter deep I turn on the high pressure coolant and dwell for 2 seconds. Then I turn up the RPM to 25% of reccommended speed dwell for 2 seconds then 50% for 2 seconds then 100% for 2 seconds and go at it to full depth. Once at the bottom I dwell for 1 second turn the speed down to 500 RPM and pull out and stop.for materials that work harden, I'll come up .010 before turning down to 500RPM. I've used this method with 100% success in aluminum, steels, and exotics. If the hole is not blind, I shut off the high pressure coolant at the bottom of the hole before pulling out.the reason I go to 500 rpm is so the tool does not whip. I've done this with 50x diameter gun drill on an HMC and the drill was .09 dia.

HTH

I appologize for the hijack here but I'm curious. I would pretty much handle a 16x D the same way James, with minor variations depending on many things. Do you have custom drill cycles to handle this ?..if so, would you mind sharing a sample of how you accomplish it ? I can fumble my way through a post but I haven't even tried to set up any custome drill cycles. I'm not exactly sure how to go about it. again, sorry for the hijack.

mike

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...Do you have custom drill cycles to handle this?...

No need to apologize for the hijack, it's pertinent. Anyways I have not created a custom cycle for this yet. I think it would be possible because there are enough custom parameters available to do it. It's just having the time to do it.