Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solidworks installation problem.

RobertELee

Our IT guy just upgraded my computer to X3 MU1 and Solidworks 2009. The X3 installation went fine and the SW installation seemed fine. He opened both up under his user name and they both worked. When he logged off and I logged backed in, X3 worked fine but when I tried opening SW the splash screen is displayed for about 10 seconds then disappears and a small warning box with an exclamation point is displayed. It doesn't say anything just the exclamation point. I tried pulling a model in on X3 and the same warning message pops up.

Another thing, when he uninstalled it to try it again, the uninstall started good but when it hit about 50% it really started to slow down. It took about 5 minutes to get to 50% another 2 hours to get to 75% and when I got in this morning it was stopped at 96% and didn't move for 2 hours. So we restarted the computer and SW seemed to be gone. So we reinstalled it (under my user name this time) and the same thing still happens.

I thought maybe it was because I didn't have enough access priveleges for some reason but I have always had administrator rights on this computer. This doesn't happen on any other computer in the shop just this one...the newest most powerful one we have. We also had another guy log in under his user name and the same thing happens.

Why can only the IT guy open Solidworks on this computer and nobody else? We're all confused on this one.

Running on XP, I can get the other stats on the computer when I get in on monday if needed.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you may have!

quote:

Why can only the IT guy open Solidworks on this computer and nobody else? We're all confused on this one.

Getting SolidWorks to run on a computer when you don't have full admin rights can be a challange.

I don't have an answer for you.

In both cases I was involved with, IT gave up and

gave me full admin rights.

My SW 2009 kept freezing up on me.(got so bad I could not even open it anymore) After wasting half a day trying to figure it out, I decided to do a uninstall/ re-install. I tried about 10 times to uninstall, getting to different completion points each time, and that wasted another 1/2day. The next day I called SW tech-support and they told me to shut off the firewall before uninstall and then turn it back on after install. Sure enough, uninstall/re-install worked first try. Kind of sounds like the same issues you are having.