Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

assign tool numbers

k turk

recently upgraded to a new computer, and i'm having a few issues the subject title of this post being one. Actually all the problems are related to starting a new session - ie: can't make the changes stick.

1- in the tool settings tab of the machine group properties, i can't seem to make the 'Assign tool numbers sequentially' box stay unchecked. when i start a new session of MC i have to remember to go uncheck it.

2- MC opens with the default configuration file and i have to switch it with my customized one.

3- similar problem as #2. i have to switch the default with my own .mtb file in the settings / customize window

i had all this smoothed out on the old computer. is this a 'permissions' thing or do i have something pointing to the wrong place in MC?

Making sure you have read/write permissions to the entire MC install directory is where I'd start.

If settings still don't stick, they're probably set somewhere else (control def?) also and they need to be changed there. I don't like having multiple places to set the same defaults. One overrides the other and it leaves you bleeding from the ears until you finally figure it out.

Thad

I don't like having multiple places to set the same defaults.

yeah, i'm actually glad to read confirmation that that condition exists. the idea seems so strange that i've questioned my memory on what boxes i've seen where.

i'll have to work on this later - have to make stuff again.

• 3 weeks later...

bump -

i'm back trying to figure this out. i do have full permissions, but the three items listed at the beginning of the thread don't stick.

is there a file pointer buried somewhere for:

- the configuration file

- the .mtb file

(MC starts up with the defaults)

and

'Assign tool numbers sequentially'

(won't stay off. have to manually uncheck each session)

banghead.gif

i'll get my IT girl to triple check. they keep the admin privileges pretty locked down around here.

. . . but what you are saying is that if i go to the system configuration window under settings and switch the file in the 'current' dropdown to my config - that change should stick. there is nowhere else to set it?

. . . and same for others?

thanks for the help

Turk -Mike Gates has you on the right track,

a few more bullets:

Once you're sure about the permissions issue,

1 - go to settings/configuration/start exit:

make sure you're calling the correct .config, .mtb, and .kmp files at startup

2 - Load the machine def that's got you buggy on the tool numbering, expand it's properties icon in the ops mgr & click the files tab. once you're in that window click the exclamation point icon in the defaults section. Now you'll be editing the defaults file that machine looks to for its default values. take a look in the corresponding area of this file (the tool settings tab of the machine def in the top of the .defaults file) and make sure the assign tool numbers sequentially box is un-checked)...

btw - nice quote there from the Third Man!!

thanks Mike S (and others) you nailed it. i figured i was missing something. all three solved, and i have a little better understanding of navigating the guts of this program.

a fellow here called me out on the quote - the cuckoo clock came from germany - still, i like the quote and the movie.