Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Crazy Idea or Not?

We got some Ti here that needs to be machined. Our Big Lathe is booked solid for 6 months. So I am trying to come up with a different way to rough these part prior to heat treat. So what I have come up with it a little off the wall. I want to take a highfeed cutter and rough mill/turn them on an Horizontal using the 4th axis. My debate is to either use the leading edge or the bottom of the highfeed cutter. I am thinking I need to place it off center so as the part is coming around into the cut it is into the strength of the cutter. Running it on the bottom will put it to the strength to the machine pushing against the spindle. Putting it to the side puts it to the strength of the cutter. I will be doing a helix motion from top to bottom.

Then of course there is the concern of being able to push the 4th axis fast enough to get a good chip load. I feel it got the muscle. The machine is rated to a 4000lb load and the fixture, pallet, and part only weight about 1000lb. I see Mill/Turning talked about all the time on Mill/Turns and I am thinking why not apply the same approach to a Horizontal.

Thought, comments, or suggestion are welcomed.

How long is the part approx?

Could you get a long extension for the feedmill, and attack it from the top, instead of on the side.(ramp down on Z i mean) Feedmills work quite well on extended holders because all of the cutting forces are on the Z axis.

mabey?

B Rotation speed would be my concern.

Most of my feed milling is done at about .05 feed per rev. Can you get that at the dia you will be at?

Other than that, it sounds as though you would be making a sorta VTL. So I think it would work.

My idea would be better suited for a vertical mill, if the length wasn't too long.

I have done similar work with a feedmill on a 12" extension, on a vertical.

I would try the leading edge of the cutter and off center like you said for try #1.

quote:

I want to take a highfeed cutter and rough mill/turn them on an Horizontal using the 4th axis.

I presume that machine does not have a 5th axis??

If it did you could mabey tilt the cutter and use the same method but tilt the tool at an angle starting from the top and feeding down on Y.

How much material is coming off of the diameter? What kind of HMC are you going to use, and how fast is the B axis?

Sounds like you may be better off xxxxcanning the feedmill, and using a solid carbide endmill (for Ti of course). Start at the top of the part, at full DOC, and peel mill all the way down in a helix (like you were already planning). This way you're pretty much guaranteed to have enough B axis speed, and the endmill will be cutting on it's side.

I have done something similiar on an old mits horizantal. I had to turn off g61.1 to maintain a chip load and tweak d.o.c. until the machine liked, but all in all it worked pretty well. I shifted the cutter of the center so the lowest spot on the insert was tangent wit the radius I was cutting. I'm not sure if it would be applicable for you situation, but I have had alot of sucess plunge milling TI with a button cutter.

HTH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49auLIg25BM

Maybe this might give you something to think about, certainly not that it's programmed in Esprit but the approach.

Especially the part when the tool is coming in at 90 degrees to the part (imagine the part sitting upright on your horizontal table).

As others have mentioned the limitation is going to be the RPM of the table.

But I've more success doing this type of thing in the past with the side of the tool rather than working on the end (which I think is what you were suggesting?)