Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MRU menu

Jaz

Hi Jim, He's doing ok. Thanks for asking. Seems like Justin has reached a plateau with his recovery. His doctor just recommended that he go into Residential Assisted living for T.B.I. people. We were kind of shocked that the doctor would recommend this but he's not really improving at all. He is scared to death of leaving home and we have no intention on following the doctors recommendation at this point. That would be giving up on him in our minds. On the other hand, My wife and I can't physically do all of his P.T. I've got back problems and the wife just had a hernia operation and also has degenerative arthritis in her back and neck. His insurance has been exhausted and we don't know if he will ever be approved for any more therapy. So we are trying to come up with a plan to help Justin get stronger and be more independent. Along with the brain injury, he has a resulting condition called Ataxia. He knows where he wants to go but can't coordinate balance and motor functions together at the same time to do what he wants as far as walking goes. We have reached out to family and friends for help but I'm ashamed to say that most of them have either disappeared from our lives or just stuck their heads in the sand and aren't very supportive at all. I can't say I blame them . I'm not sure how well I would handle it if it were someone else's kid in the same situation. Knowing what I know now I am sure I would be allot more compassionate and supportive then the people that were once very close to us. Sad to say but unless you live through it you really can't understand the mental anguish that comes with being a care giver for someone who can't take care of his or her own basic needs. The strain it puts on your marriage and the other kids in the family is sometimes enough to make you want to run for the hills and never come back. Were just taking it one day at a time right now. Hopefully in the spring we can get him out side and find one of those fitness trails at a park somewhere with parallel bars. That would be the best exercise for him as far as regaining his balance and control. We've been told that Ataxia is untreatable but who knows? Maybe something good will come from some of the new research that we will see happening in the near future. Thanks again for asking about Justin. I will never forget what this great forum here did for us during the extremely difficult times we went through. smile.gif

Paul,

I can relate to your situation in a way. I have a brother who is both mentally and physically handicapped from birth. He is also epileptic and suffers from occasional seizures. Last one 3 years ago. My mother just passed away 3 weeks ago and my wife and I are now working on plans for him to come and live with us. My stepfather is in the last stage of cancer of the larnyx that has spread to his lungs. The stress is enough to make you want to crawl in a hole and not come back out.

If you haven't already contact the Social Security Office and start the paperwork for benefits for a Disabled Adult, SSDI. Long and drawn out but stick to your guns. Determination of disability is the toughest part of the process but worth it to you and your family in the long term. Medicaid for Disabled Adults is something else you need to get started on. This will also take some time to work thru but well worth it.

Here's a website with most of the information you will need. If you haven't seen it already.

http://www.abin-pa.org/factsheet.htm

I sincerely believe your right in not giving up on him. The family thing I can totally relate to. Are there any volunteer programs to help with disabled adult rehabilitation in Pennsylvania ? How about the kids who grew up with Justin ? Is there any of them who could help out with physical rehab and conditioning ?

Hang in there and keep up the good fight, and yes this forum is a great bunch of folks. It has provided a wealth of knowledge, a shoulder to lean on, and provides a much needed distraction at times.

Thumbs up to you both, and especially to your partners as well, for being there in their time of need.

I too, am in similar surroundings, have found the going tough, but relish the grunt, or gesture that a disabled child makes while trying to communicate, the arms being raised for a hug, a squeal that shows her enjoyment. Yes it is hard, we know that there is a dark cloud somewhere over the horizen ( a looong way off ), but here is now. They need us, just as much as we need them.

Why do we do it ?

There is only one answer, Love

Best Wishes to you guys and hope things quickly improve

Steve

Thanks guys, Good luck to both of you with your family members. If there is anything I can help with in terms of experience as a care giver I'd be more than happy to share. Jim, You asked about Justin's friends. They were there for him when he came home and for 3 or 4 months after but eventually they just stopped coming and calling. He does keep in touch with them through the internet but that's the extent of it. He does go to church a few times a week and is working through a discipleship with a fellow Sunday school student and that seems to be very uplifting for him. As far as SSDI goes, Fortunately my wife was very diligent in getting Justin enrolled in SSDI. He actually was signed up prior to his accident because of his Bi-Polar disorder. He had a very difficult time holding down a job and would go back on SSDI between jobs. Thank god she did because I can only imagine how hard it would be to deal with that process during the early stages of his post coma recovery. Everything just seemed to fall into place. Because he was under 22 at the time of his accident he was considered developmentally disabled so he was entitled to additional benefits that normal adults wouldn't have been entitled to. Again, I wish you both good luck and the strength you need to get through every day. smile.gif