Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

survey

JayMan

I'm a long time user of Mastercam V9 and have just recently moved to X3, I find the transistion to be awful hard,I wonder, because of my age,(54)

and the fact that i am not a computer whiz, is that hampering this transistion, or is ver 9 just easier to use?

I've been told to stick with it and it will become easier than ver 9. Do you beleive this to be true? That is the question. confused.gif

Age 58 here, just transitioned from 9 to X2 last year then X3 a few months later. Streaming Teacher and asking, reading, searching on this forum when I got stuck, our reseller,and eapprentice is what gets you thru it, most of all it's seat time combined with all the above. I'm no computer whiz either and some of the topics here make one feel quite dumb in that regard but everyone here is eager and willing to help and share what they can.I do not believe anyone can do well without this forums help but you've been on it since 02 so you know.

The short answer to your ? stick with it! X is better than 9 hands down.

regards

robh

Not to Worry! JayMan,

I suggest consult your supplier and ask for 1 to 1 training, He might come and train you about only what you do. Or ask about someone who can come in for a day to show where is what and how to work in X2/3

Just imagine! I trained a person in 2 days who had not used any CAM system b4 but had only seen little bits. Now he is Programming!!

There is a big hype about V9 and X

One only needs "Openmind" tablets in the Pharmacy store.

Imagine people use 2~3 different CAM systems,I wonder why hesitate to jump only from MC9 to MCX.

Hire a good trainer bud and you will feel young again!!

When you've got to crank a part out asap use what your comfortable with, that will take some of the pressure off getting up to speed with x asap. But do try and force yourself to use x on as many projects as possible. Oh yes a few training sessions with some book exercise or streaming teacher can do wonders with getting the basics down.

Once you get a hang of the geometry creation, and selection methodology, you'll NEVER want to go back.

When I first switched, that was the stuff that tripped me up the worst. After a few days, all of the sudden it just clicked.

If you have a buddy, or another programmer you can call for help, it will make it a lot easier. Stuff you may dink around with for 45 minutes, can be answered by an experienced users in 2 seconds.

Give it time, it is worth it.

I beat my head now if I have to go back to V9.been using MC for 20 years plus now and I really feel faster in the X series.

I did not get much of choice to change as I was having to sell it as a dealer. One day I just took a side project and said I am done with V9 now its MC-X and it just happened. but I am real comfortable in front of the computer and MC.

PS now 43 and still willing to learn.

I was thankful that the shop I was with (a few years back) bought v9 a month before X premiered so I didnt have to linger or form lots of V9 habits that I have seen so many people talk about since...

From what little I had on V9 and then went X, I loved X.

As far as how to transition? There was a fellow at my current work who refused to use X2 and still have V9 on his computer here. Said he just didnt understand X and wasnt willing to put the effort in (he is 47 now). He went on holidays and had IT remove V9 from his computer. He was quite upset when he came back, but a few months later he thanked me cause he could see the benefits and ease of going into X instead of V9....All be it, all he did was draw bolt circles! lol

Stick it out. It gets better, and easier. smile.gif

I'm 60 and I learned it. I have "streaming teacher" and the good peeps at this forum to thank. When you get stuck help is right here. As mentioned the geometry creation is different as is the new "look". Once you get into toolpathing you will find many similarities with 9. I'm still no solids wiz but getting better and I'm still no 5 axis jock. Never worked anyplace that required it. I would not want to go back to 9 at this point.

You can do it!

smile.gif

I'm 53, a computer whiz, and used MC since v6. IMHO the 2 biggest things that help the transition are first, keeping handy that function chart that tells you where the command paths (V9-Create-Point-Slice/ X3-Use X-Form Array for instance) were in V9 and now are in X. It was in X but might not be in X3 and someone may have to send you a copy. It's 32 pages so print it and put it in a 3 ring notebook or folder. You'll quickly find that you need it less and less.

The other thing is get your toolbars and mouse right click button set up with functions you use alot and get rid of functions you don't use. This was one of the harder things to set up but once it is getting things done will become faster all the time.

I've also been a long-time user, starting with MC version 4 back around 1990-91.

For those of us who go that far back, I can certainly say that I've seen the product continue to improve with each new version.

True, the jump from 9 to X was probably the most dramatic because of the totally different look and feel of the new interface. And yes, it did take some time to get comfortable with X. But now I believe I could not, nor would I want to go backward to version 9, 8, 7, etc... wink.gif

My advice would be much the same as everyone else's. The more 'seat time' you get with X, the more comfortable you will get.

This forum is also a great resource when you get stuck. Most questions will be answered here in a very short time, and you can often find the answer by searching the forums rather than posting your question. Chances are very good that someone else has been there and done that and experienced the same problem. biggrin.gif

Well I didn't hear from anybody who liked the old format, So I guess it is just me being a stuborn mule and don't want to leave my comfort zone. But the transistion must be made, so thanks for the opinions and don't forget to answer me when I need help.........later.......J.