Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

machining titanium

machinedudester

This machine is a gantry and is much larger than a VF and I need to drill and bore or ream some very tight tolerances +/-.0001". I did some drilling with a .390" cobalt taper length drill. I used the mastercam speeds of 130rpm at .2 feed and if I increased the feed it made the rpms jump back and forth more and more. These are very unigue parts, I have to go through .625" thick ti. then aluminum then air then aluminum and then back through .625" of ti. again, a total of 5 inches. There are already holes at .375". I would like to mill them but how can I reach the bottom in such a small diameter?

The WOW comes from you being stuck with such a job on a router. +/-.0001 on a million machine would be a task, much less a router IMHO. That machine is a router not a true milling machine. Like said before you do not have the torque needed. I doubt you have the rigidity needed, and I am almost shore you are pushing your true position tolerance to the max doing everything you can just hold what you are holding. The added cost to the job, the added risk of scrapping the parts just make me feels bad for you. I wish you the best, but there are the hard jobs, the insane jobs, and the what was someone thinking job.

quote:

I doubt it will do any serious roughing

I know first hand that it won't. One of our customers has a GR712 and trust me... it won't take it. Sounds like your boss is an optimist and they have no place in the world of machining.

"The road to failure is paved with good intentions"

HTH

Josh

"Haas GR512... very tight tolerances +/-.0001"

I would rate this as nearly impossible to do with any consistency. You might get lucky and get one good part but I wouldn’t bet you can do two in a row! Don’t let it be your fault this doesn’t work. IMO you are exceeding the design intention of the machine.