Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Need Opinions on handme down notebook

Scrap the Win Me and replace it with Win2K.

(Make sure you've got the Win2K drivers before you start.)

It should do 2 1/2 axis mill and lathe very well.

Simple surfacing will run OK, but it will not be adquate for complex 3X work.

If you don't want to upgrade to Win2K, downgrade back to Win98. WinMe is junk!

I am running a HP notebook with the S3 card. It works well until you get to part files more than 5 megs or bigger. The graphics become very slow and sometimes crash. I run WIN XP with 256 ram. I also do a lot of surfacing. I can not complain about the processing speed, just the graphics.

Hopefully I will have my Dell soon biggrin.gif

Dell is building some really kicka$$ laptops these days. (If you don't mind spending $3K)

eek.gif

They are using a 64MB DDR 4XAGP NVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go™ 3D Video card. Does anyone on the forum have any experience with Mastercam and this card??

Hopefully, its not a low voltage MX card.

[ 07-02-2002, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: gcode ]

quote:

graphic s3 Inc Salvage/ix w/mv

any thoughts on this to run with MC?

Be careful with the Savage. We've had issues with it playing nice with Mastercam.

quote:

They are using a 64MB DDR 4XAGP NVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go™ 3D Video card. Does anyone on the forum have any experience with Mastercam and this card??

Hopefully, its not a low voltage MX card.

The GeForce4 Go 440, in actuality, is in the same class as the GeForce 4 MX line of cards for desktops. The 440, like the MX line for desktops, lacks support for nfiniteFX 2 engine which is responsible for elite features like dual vertex shaders, best-in-the-business pixel shaders and "smart" bump mapping. These features are available in the GeForce4 Ti series of cards for desktops. Either way, Mastercam doesn't really use any of the features that the nfiniteFX 2 engine offers. The 64MB GeForce4 Go 440 even edges out nVidia's own Quadro2 Go interms of horse power. Bar none, the GeForce4 Go 440 (not the 420) is one of the best video chipsets you'll find in a notebook at this moment.

PS: When nVidia can pack the features of the GeForce4 Ti line into a notebook, we should all be drooling for those notebooks biggrin.gif