Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

left and right part

octhesax

I need to make left and right hand parts. THe parts are going on a horizontal mill mounted on a tombstone. three sides are being machined(G55-right side,G54-front,G56-left side).

I have the right hand geometry done. what is the best way to make a left hand part. ANY IDEAS? eek.gif

Hi

quote:

what is the best way to make a left hand part.

Plan A

Finish all the tool paths( then use the mirror in the machine(xmir on)

Plan B

Finish all of the cutter paths.

Then use Jeffs

quote:

xform/mirror/all/entities/done/y axis

In the paraemter page pick the gemetry icon.

Then revese the geometry.

And regenerate.

Then post with a new number

Toolpath/Next Menu/Transform (or right click in the operations manager and toolpaths/transform). Now you can mirror, rotate, move your toolpath. You'll probably want to use by coordinate and not toolplane.

This is just AWESOME for complex left and right parts. The transform operation takes almost no time at all to generate. I've saved DAYS worth of computer crunching time on left/right parts instead of mirroring the actualy geometry and surfaces and generating new paths from the new entities. smile.gifcool.gif

[ 07-03-2002, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: Zero ]

Doesn't these methods of x-forming affect climb/conventional cutting? In our shop 90% of work involves left/right parts, so we mirror machine at parameters or G51.1 on some controls. And replace all cutters with left hand version, sadly these left cutters are becoming rarer and more expensive.

thepress

quote:

Doesn't these methods of x-forming affect climb/conventional cutting?

Yes and No, you can make a few toggles and have it climb cut or conventional.

I have done this many time and alwas want the climb cutting.

So I program the Shown and Mirror for the op.

TheePres

CadCam is right, in most cases you can mirror the toolpath and still conventional cut. There is an option in 'mirror' to 'reverse toolpath'. This works most times.

Sometimes you have to copy your operation, select geometry and reverse chain, change 'left' to 'right' in cutter comp, Regen, and then mirror this copy. But try 'Reverse toolpath' in the 'Toolpath-Transform-Mirror' first.

When making left and right molds, I usually have two vises mounted, one mold half in left vise as G54 and opposite matching mold half in right vise as G55. Write a toolpath for G54, transform-mirror 'reverse direction' the toolpath, change the mirrored operation to G55 and post both together as one file for the machine. Now one cutter in one setup will cut both left and right while you go get a cup of coffee!!

BerTau smile.gif