Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

What's the Difference?

Toonz

Hoping for a quick and simple response on this.

While browsing thru Mastercam's website and checking the Download section, there is a file called: Direct Conv. - Mastercam X3 Direct for Autodesk® Inventor

What is the difference between that and this: X3 Translator Update - AutoDesk Inventor View 2009 (x86 and/or x64)

The translator converts Inventor files into Mastercam files..

From inside Mastercam you File/Open the Inventor file and it opens in Mastercam.

You DONOT need a copy of Inventor

Inventor Direct requires that you have a copy of Inventor installed on your computer.

While in Inventor, you launch Inventor Direct.

It opens a session of Mastercam and pushes your Inventor file into Mastercam

• 7 months later...

quote:

How? I can open them from Mastercam but isn't Direct for Inventor supposed to allow you to launch your part into Mastercam from Inventor?

yes i believe so, but i dont use it i have both open anyway so i just go and get the solid i dont need 20 MCs open i have enough bugs with just 1 or 2 open wink.gif

• 4 weeks later...

OK - I finally talked my boss into letting me install X4 (apparently afraid of change) - In X3, I could drag and drop an Inventor file into Mastercam - X4 is not allowing me to do this. I can open the file from Mastercam, but not drag and drop. Is this a new feature, or do I have a setting out of whack?