Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Machine Definition Components

melliott6

Is there anywhere to go to get information on how to create a machine configuration in you machine definition. I have read all there is on MC's site so I am aware that this is supose to simulate your machine. I know you start with the Machine Base and add components. My question is how do you know what component goes in what group. Does the table group have to come before the spindle group? In some md's I have a vmc x axis in the table group and in others it's in the spindle group. In others the x and y axis are in the table group. Some of my md's have components that aren't even available on the machine and it hasn't seemed to mess anything up.

The pdf's and help files give you a lot of information about what to do but don't tell you why you are doing it. I am starting to think that unless you are simulating it doesn't matter how or what you throw in your machine definition. Is there anywhere (other than a useless reseller) that you can go for information?

Also, if you are using icam to post what are you supose to put in the control definition for the post processor?

Thanks,

Mike

quote:

if you are using icam to post what are you supose to put in the control definition for the post processor

ICAM posts run off NCI.. I'd use the default

mpfan post.

What you put in your machine def does matter.

If you get stuff wrong, you'll get axis errors when you try to post multiaxis and 4 axis toolpaths.

If you are not trying to simulate your machine

and you're using an ICAM post , I'd run the default mill machine def and not worry about it.

The ICAM post is going to over rule anything you

do in Mastercam's machine defs

Thanks.

That was pretty much the conclusion that I cam to. I am getting ready to program for an unforgiving mag 5-axis machine (which I have never done before) so I was a little concerned. I am sure the next few months are going to be a learning experience for me; one that I am looking forward to with both excitement and trepidation.

Melliott6, Icam should taken care every thing for you. To me the most important thing you need in Machine Def. is control file. Once you map all association files for that machine : tool, op. etc. the rest is up to Icam. HTH

Maybe someone from CNC can step in here.

Its my understanding that the

Control Def does not have any effect

on NCI output.

I've got a couple of 3rd party posts here

that are NCI driven.

Edits to my control def have no affect

what so ever on the posted code

I get from my 3rd party post.

An example..I have a Cinci 5X gantry

that cannot helix mill. I have disabled

helix milling in the control def but the post

still outputs helix toolpaths because

that's what its getting from the NCI

I have to check the "linearize helix"

box in each toolpath to disable helix output.

My conclusion from this is that the

control def does not affect NCI output.