Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Shrink fit holders and Machine

connormac

Ok everyone. You have all said shrink fit is the way to go for long reach. If we sign the contract we are suppost to next week, we have told the owner that we have to go shrink fit for the extended reach. I need to have some choices to propose.

I know Iscar makes a unit. Someone has a Ingersol on the board.

This is kinda of one shot deal. I don't want to get one and three months from now figure out I got the wrong one. Any advice would help.

Thanks in advance.

Here's the way I looked at it:

I could either buy a real shrink fit unit for $4000-$5000 bucks, or I could spend that money on 20-30 extra shrink fit holders, and continue using "Ghetto Shrink Fit."

We decided to continue with Ghetto Shrink Fit, which consists of a standard off the shelf propane torch. It takes about a minute and a half to release the tool, and then we let it cool naturally. It's very easy, and we haven't had any problems with "cooking" the holders. Just grab the tool every 30 seconds or so and give it a little tug. Eventually it just slips right out. We've been using this "system" on .375, .500, .750, and 1.0 holders from Command and Techniks for a few years with no problems.

We use Iscar er32 adaption shrink fit.It was the only way to affordably get bt30 shrink fit for our Robodrill.We use it on cat40 mills also.It has worked out very well.We use tools from .010 thru .500 in them with no problems.We also do the Ghetto shrink fit.The only advantage I see to the rf heaters is speed.When we were still shopping for a system.I visited a shop close to us to see their method.They have a Haimer unit in the cell Where my friend works.He said "You just dont want to get it to hot" as he pulled the heater up, the end of the tool holder was glowing red.I have never gotten one that hot with my Ghetto method.Iscar er32 shrinkers are way less $$$ than one-piece tools.Less than half.