Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Broaching on Caxis lathe

I'm hoping to broach out 4 .501-.502 keys 90 deg. apart. They are .254 deep and 1.375 long. They have a radius groove for relief but then there is a shoulder behind it. The bore is around 4 11/16. Does anyone know of any good tooling for this job? Also is this feasible. We have a keyseater but with it not being a through key it will be tuff, also there are bolt circles but they can't be put in untill its keyed. So if I key it on the lathe then I can put the holes in.

Nice looking tool.

I have made my own tools using grooving inserts in the past that have worked well for us.

Broaching up to a shoulder can give you troubles with the chips. I suggest a small depth of cut so the chip is not too big.

I programmed it using the canned groove cycle G74.

That is a nice looking tool; I will keep that in mind for the future. I like the video; having 1/2 the part missing certainly helps chip evacuation wink.gif

I'd suggest leaving .005 or so on the shoulder and finishing it after broaching in case the broaching chips ding the face up a little.

C

• 2 weeks later...

I would use a simple macro, something like

OBRCH

IDIA=25 (MINOR DIAMETER)

ODIA=32 (MAJOR DIAMETER)

LEGH=-15 (Z FINAL LENGHT)

INC=0.1 (INCREMENTAL VALUE FOR BROACHING SHIFT)

CANG=0 (C-AXIS ANGLE)

T0101

M110

G0 C=CANG

M147

V1=INC

NLOOP X=IDIA+V1 Z3

G94 G1 Z=LEGH F250

IF [V1 EQ [ODIA-IDIA][NEND

X=IDIA

G0 Z3

V1=V1+INC