Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Rotating an STL in Verify, or Converting to a Solid

Mic6

I did a search and didn't find what I'm looking for. I have a 2d part I drew up, no model of any kind. I verified and saved as an STL. Opened my OP2 program, chose the STL file as stock in verify, but I want to verify on the back side of the STL. Is this possible, or can I create a solid from the STL file? headscratch.gif I'd like to avoid creating a soild for this if possible. cuckoo.gif <--I Know

• 1 month later...

Uggh, I cant remember how I did this last time! Verified OP1, saved as STL. Opened my stl and rotated it into position, but when I tried to save the repositioned STL, I get an error "There are no surfaces on the screen, or none have been selected"

Lets go over this one more time shall we? My Op1 and OP2 are different files. I think it worked before with "Xform STL", but I opened the file which I started the topic with and it's the same as I'm trying to do now. The STL is rotated 180 into position, saved. OP2 verify, chose the stl file, and things verified perfectly. On this new situation, I choose the rotated STL file in verify, and no Stock comes up. banghead.gif

Oh, the last time I did this was X3 MU1, I'm on X4 now if that makes a diference.

WCS works great for verify, but re-orienting (xforming) the STL is still my way, because I do so much restmilling, I am just used to xforming it.

Bring it in (as mesh)to your file, and you can xform just as you would anything else - solid, surfaces, etc... Do a save some, and done.

I brought the file in, File/Merge Pattern, Transformed it where I want, then did a save some, selected the original STL name, then I get the error "There are no surfaces on the screen, or none have been selected" ???

.....I just don't get it. Can't figure out how to use WCS for verify. Besides that, when I open my STL file, move it, then try to resave it, it won't save. All I did was rotate it around, why cant I resave it as the same STL file? confused.gif

Could it be a setting or technique?

when you use WCS you NEVER rotate your part or STL. You assign a new WCS for each operation therefore when you open your previously saved stl file in the verify session, it's always oriented exactly the same as the first operation.

If you never move the part or stl they have to be oriented the same right?

it's a little weird at first but once you understand how it works......you'll never want to do it any other way.

just always make sure in you stock setup your set to top as said before.

good luck!

Okay, I understand not roatating the part and using WCS, but how does that relate to my stock? Below is a picture of my OP1 verify. I spun it around so you can see how I want it for OP2 Verify.

OP1.jpg

I saved that as an STL, moved it into the position I want for op2. You can see my origin there in the corner at finished Z height, with the extra material above Z.

OP1STL.jpg

Once I opened, and repositioned this STL file, I couldn't save it again......still trying.... headscratch.gif

Geeez, I think I finally got it through my skull. So I verfied OP1, saved the STL. Saved the Part file as OP2, created a new WCS on the back corner of the geometry, did my toolpaths, opened the OP1 STL in verify and Voila! I'm going to keep working with WCS as much as possible now. biggrin.gif Thanks everybody, all the help has been much appreciated cheers.gif